'Fleshing out' a scenario

'Fleshing out' a scenario

Postby deltic009 » Fri May 02, 2014 11:47 am

So, I've done the hard bits in getting the trains to interact and perform exactly as they should and it all works without any issues. I've had some AI running if the scenario to allow me to film various aspects of the scenario. Now, yards and sidings. What does one do to fill them up with an accurate reflection of the areas portrayed?

Bearing in mind I've recreated train running perfectly to how it ran on the day in question (including delays, platform changes), so I really do need it to feel like a current incarnation of the route - I don't want to resort to just sticking any old trucks and locos here and there.
deltic009
Full Time Fireman

Re: 'Fleshing out' a scenario

Postby yerkes » Fri May 02, 2014 12:25 pm

What I do is search for and look at photos of the area. That gives me an idea of the sort of rolling stock you'd expect to see. Then I try to find the best match in the rolling stock available to me.

Is this along the lines you are thinking of?
yerkes
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby rfletcher72 » Fri May 02, 2014 2:28 pm

yerkes wrote:What I do is search for and look at photos of the area. That gives me an idea of the sort of rolling stock you'd expect to see. Then I try to find the best match in the rolling stock available to me

Me too. The good thing about modern times is that sidings tend to be empty on the whole, if it is sat still it isn't making money. I also only tend to add stock that can be seen from the cab, ie. at Clapham Jcn., I don't fill the yard up with SWT stock if I have no way of seeing it as I pass through.

The other point on this is that I always try and place consists in sidings as AI services. I recall that MSTS used to require less resources for an AI consist than it did for static ones, I do not know if this applies with TS, but I have noticed scenarios with lots of statics do become a bit top heavy. So for such as a multiple unit (what isn't these days?) sat on a depot, I will set it up as AI and get it to sit on the end of a marker until the player has passed and then run it to a portal if I can. It also means the unit's lights illuminate :) ,

Cheers,
Richard
rfletcher72
Full Time Fireman

Postby Kernow » Fri May 02, 2014 7:12 pm

I find a lot of photo evidence from Flickr. ( https://www.flickr.com/) Just type in for example Clapham Junction 1998 in the search box and see what comes up. Refine or broaden your search or change search location eg Balham or Balham 1998 etc.. and you'll be amazed at what people have posted. Looking through others photo albums can lead you off into finding all manner of interesting stuff that you would never have looked for too!
You'll need to check that images are of the period/place you are researching amongst the images that the search produced.
Good Luck,
G.
Kernow
General Shed Duties

Postby Nobkins » Sat May 03, 2014 5:38 am

Yes flickr is a great resource. I find a search on flickr much better than a google image search.
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Return to Scenario Creation