Drop off instruction problem !

Drop off instruction problem !

Postby whittaker » Sat May 03, 2014 3:09 am

Just been trying to make a couple of drop off instructions but find when the consist reaches the start of the siding marker it fails before i can draw forward and uncouple my wagons.
in the previous siding i placed a instruction to uncouple the guards van of the train and this works ok ,but when i draw forward to uncouple half the hoppers (10) i
get the problem.

any help would be great.

joe
whittaker
Fit for Firing Duties

Re: Drop off instruction problem !

Postby Derek B » Sat May 03, 2014 8:00 am

Hi Joe,

If I'm reading this right things are fine in the scenario editor but going awry in-play and the fail is related to the tick in the F1 rather than to being unable to uncouple the wagons?

Generally I've found that placing a go via instruction at a suitable point (creating a destination marker if needed) between two shunting instructions can often be a help but if you'd like to identify the location and the movements involved we could try and replicate the issue.

Derek
Derek B
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby whittaker » Sat May 03, 2014 10:27 am

Hello Derek,Yes the wagons uncouple but it gives a instruction fail long before you get the chance to uncouple.

joe
whittaker
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Derek B » Sun May 04, 2014 1:53 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen similar issues crop up before from time to time. Thing is, I don't bother with the ticks when putting stuff together for my own enjoyment so I let the problem slide so long as the couple, uncouple or whatever actually works in game.

Hmm. Are you attempting here to uncouple on the same siding marker that you dropped the brakevan on?

Derek
Derek B
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby AndiS » Sun May 04, 2014 2:07 pm

whittaker wrote:Just been trying to make a couple of drop off instructions but find when the consist reaches the start of the siding marker it fails before i can draw forward and uncouple my wagons.

Could it be that you need to set the check mark at this green U-shaped arrow for "returning is allowed" or "reversing allowed" or similar? If that is not selected and your train head leaves the marker, the game could think that there is no way for you to return to drop off these wagons. Of course, this is wrong, as you only leave the tail part there which is still on the marker. Just a thought, though.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby whittaker » Mon May 05, 2014 6:13 am

Yes Andis ive tried ticking that box ,still no look.

joe
whittaker
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby AndiS » Mon May 05, 2014 9:49 am

And does it work if your whole train is inside the marker when you uncouple?
Could be a new (or newly discovered) issue of the game.
If the marker is too short, try placing a scenario-specific one there. I never tried, but you ought to be able to place one on top of the route-specific one.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby whittaker » Sat May 10, 2014 5:48 pm

Hello Andis
I think the problem is probably more to do with myself to be honest ,never had much luck with consists operations instructions.Also i did try to place a marker over another .couldnt get it to go over first marker.

thanks for the reply s

joe
whittaker
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Pjt1974 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:12 am

A bit of late reply but I seem to be getting a similar problem with a scenario I'm working on.

The way I see it is that we are making scenario's for simulation, not a game, as a driver, if you've dropped the wagons/carriages off where you are instructed, job done, as in real life.
I've gone from 'fit for firing' to 'full time fireman'. Does this mean I can fire those who are 'fit for firing'?
Pjt1974
Passed Fireman

Postby AndiS » Mon May 19, 2014 11:39 am

You must be talking about a different software then. :twisted:

Actually we (i.e., all the creators) face two challenges at once:
1) Make the game do something close enough to what it ought to do.
2) Make the player overlook the difference.

In the case of markers (for platforms, sidings, etc.) there is the visual representation - the track work - and the logical layer - the marker.

I can easily figure out an innocent programmer (the type that created the rest of the code) determining the following logic:
If there is an uncoupling activity and if the train (the whole one) is on a marker (as a whole) and if this marker features on the to-do list as uncoupling and if all the listed wagons are among those that are uncoupled, then tick off that item on the to-do list.

The evil inside me wants to see if it is enough for the engine, but not the wagons, to be on the marker when you uncouple.
Also remember that the game often does not see wagons you coupled to the engine during the scenario. In such a case, my evil theory might have a chance to prove true in practice.

However, the original problem was that on passing the marker, you get faulted before you get a chance to uncouple. This may be half connected to the innocent logic I described above and half to the game not expecting the player to return.

In either case, having long markers could help. Sure enough they are not prototypical then, but this is a game looking like a simulation under favourable circumstances.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Next

Return to Scenario Creation