Drop off instruction problem !

Re: Drop off instruction problem !

Postby Pjt1974 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:11 pm

Just found this passage in the 'Timetable View Manual' about the drop off instruction

4.2.7 Drop Off
The Drop Off instruction is used to determine which rail vehicles should be
uncoupled from the player service at a specified location. The location of
the drop off is set with the Set Destination button and the rolling stock
being dropped off is specified with the Add Rail Vehicle button.
NOTE: The rail vehicles being dropped off may not, at the point of authoring the
scenario, be attached to the player service. For example; the “Drop Off” is preceded
by an “Add to Back” instruction. Because all instructions are authored when all rolling
stock is at their start positions, the wagons to be dropped off will be in their original
start positions in a siding. This has no impact on setting up the instruction as the
wagons will be coupled to the player service at the point in the scenario when the
drop off instruction becomes current.
I've gone from 'fit for firing' to 'full time fireman'. Does this mean I can fire those who are 'fit for firing'?
Pjt1974
Passed Fireman

Postby AndiS » Mon May 19, 2014 4:47 pm

After chewing this through three times, I would say that it does not mean much. It is just a warning that the wagons you drop off may not be found in the initial consist of the player train, in case they are added to back or front before being dropped off.

So in these cases you will have to click on them wherever they are at scenario start, to get them into the list of vehicles to drop off. But that did not seem to be your problem, did it?
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby whittaker » Thu May 29, 2014 12:08 am

Sorry to bring this all up again,the problem i was having before i put down to me trying to split a long train in two sidings so decided to go for another approach by creating a shunting scenario around Weetslade on my route (NER) ,just coupling and uncoupling a hand full of wagons at a time, basically keeping it simple. Great ,then for no reason the old problem back again ,and this is after i had run these instructions over a good few times with no problems.
Another thing ive started to notice is when i place a scenario marker it appears ok untill i save quite ,then go back in game to find a milk bottle replacing the marker i had placed.
Im now starting to think this is a fault with my editor or route. if it is the latter i will have to think hard as ive a good bit of work completed since its UKTS freeware pack release.

Joe Whittaker
whittaker
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:08 am

I have found there is some kind of limit on shunting that relates to the total number of AI trains. I had a similar situation, where I had an AI loco assemble a train and depart while the player waited at a station. It was one of the first things I did and I honed it until I was very happy that I had the amount of movements and time taken to be just what I needed. I continued to develop the scenario, adding passing trains as I went, and, for no apparent reason, the shunting suddenly failed. In the end I dropped the assembly and just had the train depart, which continued to work, but adding more AI started to give strange results. The trains would appear with red lights to the front, for example.

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby Nobkins » Thu May 29, 2014 8:57 am

I think there is a problem with wagon numbers getting re-used. I noticed this on one of your scenarios Joe in the initial release of your route. I tried to add in proper pick up instructions but they always failed. It turned out there was more than one wagon with the same number (in fact several). This was because the range of numbers permitted for the wagon was lets say 100. Because (understandably) there was lots of standing wagons in sidings it meant that those I actually wanted to couple to as far as the game was concerned existed in more than one place.

So when I had instruction to pick up wagon 1,2,3,4,5 unfortunately wagon 3 might exist in 2 other places as wagon "3". I think the game then got upset and refused to accept that I had collected the wagon.

That was my deduction at the time anyway. Could be completely unrelated or possibly related. I am pretty sure there was something in the scenario editor that hinted at the duplicate wagon ID's but can't remember what it said (I think it also only showed after a save and reload).

Not sure if this has anything to do with your issue.

Jim
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby Carinthia » Thu May 29, 2014 10:03 am

Nobkins wrote:I am pretty sure there was something in the scenario editor that hinted at the duplicate wagon ID's but can't remember what it said (I think it also only showed after a save and reload).

That would be the red triangle with an exclamation mark in the timetable window which shows various non-critical issues with the scenario. Click on it and it will list the duplicated wagon numbers. Click on a number and the map will jump to show where the wagon concerned is. You can renumber the wagon manually in the editor to resolve each clash.

John
Carinthia
Full Time Fireman

Postby whittaker » Thu May 29, 2014 11:51 am

It turned out there was more than one wagon with the same number (in fact several)

Ahh ,now this sounds just about right as i had placed a lot of loose consists just before the problem occurred.

think ill have another look tonight.

joe
whittaker
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Pjt1974 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:04 pm

Sorry Joe, I couldn't see the wood for the trees, I had the same problem with a pick up instruction a week ago and didn't put 2 and 2 together :oops:
I've gone from 'fit for firing' to 'full time fireman'. Does this mean I can fire those who are 'fit for firing'?
Pjt1974
Passed Fireman

Postby Pjt1974 » Thu May 29, 2014 4:38 pm

Apologies for side tracking this thread from Joe's problem. It may or may not have some relevance.

I seem to have sorted out a drop off problem in Part 1 of my Cumbrian Mountain Express route.
It was a strange one really. Part 1 of the scenario you drop off 10 coaches at a shortened destination marker then pick them up again in Part 2 of the scenario at the same destination. Only 3 of the 10 coaches fitted into the length of the destination marker. I couldn't get a tick for dropping off the coaches but I could for them picking up.

I seem to have sorted it by only including the 3 coaches that fit into the marker in the instruction. I have a Class 390 chasing me to Carnforth and I feared the dispatcher would only recognise the first 3 coaches and change the points accordingly causing my final 7 coaches to derail, but the dispatcher seems to recognise I have 10 coaches from the start and allow my full consist to cross points before changing.
Pjt1974
Passed Fireman

Postby AndiS » Thu May 29, 2014 11:02 pm

In my experience, the dispatcher treats the length of the train correctly as far as vehicles are concerned that are supposed to be there.
But if you couple or uncouple anything outside the given instruction, he ignores this fact and behaves as if your train had the prescribed length.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

PreviousNext

Return to Scenario Creation