Five Part Rail Tour

Five Part Rail Tour

Postby Pjt1974 » Fri May 16, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm slowly trying to put together a five part scenario to try and recreate the Cumbrian Mountain Express.
Part 1 : Preston to Carnforth (30 mins)
Part 2 : Carnforth to Carlisle (1hr 30mins)
Part 3 : Messing around in Carlisle (30 mins)
Part 4 : Carlisle to Settle (2 hrs)
Part 5 : Light move back to Steamtown. (30 mins)

I've had a few problems with DT Mk.1 coaches and the braking. I don't fully understand which type of brakes I need so the train brake will work and not just the Loco Brake. 40 mph through Carnforth sidings isn't good in a Class 86!!!!!

As I understand it, the DT Mk.1's come with two types of braking, Vacuum and dual brakes.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Regards

Phil
I've gone from 'fit for firing' to 'full time fireman'. Does this mean I can fire those who are 'fit for firing'?
Pjt1974
Passed Fireman

Re: Five Part Rail Tour

Postby malkymackay » Sat May 17, 2014 12:23 am

Depending on the livery, the DT Mk1's could be vacuum braked or dual braked. The Class 86 should be dual braked. IIRC, there used to be a problem if you mixed vacuum & dual braked coaches in a rake. In this situation, you ended up with only braking on the loco. :o
malkymackay
Full Time Fireman

Postby Pjt1974 » Sat May 17, 2014 1:26 am

Thanks Malky

The Mk.1 rake I'm running is
BFK - vac
TSO - vac
TSO - dual
TSO - dual
TSO - vac
TSO - vac
RMB - vac
FO - vac
FO - dual
BFK - vac
(if anyone would like to add or edit my consist so it mirrors the actual Cumbrian Mountain tour, feel free to let me know)

Strange thing is, I decided to buy the Mk.1 pack from AP's sale tonight. It's supposed to be identical to the one sold on Steam apart from NSE livery's, reworked BR Blue colours and Richard's Mk.1 soundpack. Just gave it a test and all seems fine now.

Another question. Is there a speed restriction on the Class 86 leg of the tour? I know some of the Mk.1's are limited to 90 mph.
I've gone from 'fit for firing' to 'full time fireman'. Does this mean I can fire those who are 'fit for firing'?
Pjt1974
Passed Fireman

Postby Pjt1974 » Sat May 17, 2014 11:17 pm

The Story of Part1

It is a misty, gloomy mid morning in the north west of England. Not ideal for rail tour over Shap but you can't beat the weather.
Starting at 10:28 at Preston in Class 86 'Les Ross' (RSC Class 86 + Xavier Guerra's 'Les Ross' repaint) and a rake of 10 Mk.1 Maroon Coaches (DT/AP Mark 1 coach pack).
Before departing Preston at 10:30, you are passed by a departing Liverpool Lime Street - Blackpool North Class 150 (Oovee/Thomson) and an arriving Class 142 (AP/Waggonz) from Blackpool South.

After departing Preston, the run is pretty straight forward. Only traffic passing is a TPR service from Edinburgh to Manchester Airport (I have used the Class 350 repaint from GPTech that needs both Brighton Main Line and Great Eastern to work), a Class 37/47 DRS Flask Service (Dave Hossack Freeware Pack repaints and JT's Class 20) and a late running Coatbridge to Daventry Class 66 DRS plus a rake of containers (S&C Class 66 + AP12 DRS repaint and Class 92's).

Upon arriving at Carnforth, you are routed into the goods sidings where you will uncouple 'Les Ross'. As you pull forward into Platform 1, you will see the back of 'Leander' and her support coach awaiting for you in part 2.

Musings

I have used the S&C 'Leander' and Class 66 as the S&C route is part of the scenario later.

I wanted to use the Class 86 that came with WCML over Shap but it just wouldn't look right.

I'm think of changing the Class 350 to the Class 185 TPE repaint of a Networker in the Freeware Pack, it would mean less DLC needed. Timings aren't important on this service so it's either/or really.

I was worried about the length of the list of DLC needed, however, the scenario in all it's parts does last about 4 1/2 hours and, with it being set on the WCML and Settle - Carlisle) much of the DLC used in part 1 will cover what I need in parts 2 to 5. I may need to add the Voyager and Class 156 to the list in later parts but I cannot see it getting any longer than that.

DLC and Stock Used List

WCML over Shap
Class 86
WCML - N
DT Mk.1 Coaches
Class 390
Class 150
Class 92
Class 142
Class 20 pack
UKT Freeware DMU, Diesel and Coaches.

I may need a tester or two to give each scenario a once over as I finish them. Let me know here or via PM if you're interested.
Pjt1974
Passed Fireman

Postby Pjt1974 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:51 am

Pjt1974
Passed Fireman

Postby Nobkins » Mon May 19, 2014 3:17 pm

Looking superb Phil. Plenty of atmosphere.
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby Pjt1974 » Mon May 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Thanks Jim

Just having fun working out services around Carlisle as I try to stock my coaches out of the way and finish on Carlisle's Goods Line C. I may need to disappoint a few passengers and cancel a few services.
Pjt1974
Passed Fireman

Postby Pjt1974 » Wed May 21, 2014 6:26 am

The Story of Part 2

You're sitting in the Goods loop at Carnforth Station. 'Les Ross' has pulled into Platform 1 leaving you to reverse 'Leander' back onto her coaches. Nice and gently does it, remember there are passenger probably eating on board. After coupling up, we await the road. Your fireman is making sure the heart of the engine is ready for the initial pull towards Oxenholme. A Transpennine service flies past in the misty gloom heading south before 'Les Ross' makes his way back to Preston light. Just waiting for the Northern service to Carlisle via coast then we can go. That's it, the 156 glides to a halt in Platform 2 and we get the green light. We have a hard slog ahead but Carlisle here we come........................

Pjt1974
Passed Fireman

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:32 am

This looks like being a great package. I like the way you're working to a theme so that the various parts mesh nicely together. Keep up the good work!

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby Pjt1974 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Thank Keith

The Story of Part 3

With all your passenger taking a break in and around Carlisle Station, it is time to turn the engine and fill up with some essentials. After uncoupling, we have to wait for Scotrail 156412 to depart north then we can move onto Carlisle Viaduct to send us through Good Road C. As we reverse, we end up in a race for the lights with 6J37 Colas freight, hauled by 66850 instead of it usual Class 56. We soon have to brake as he has right of way this time. Waiting at the south of the station, we witness 66552 Freightliner take a Departmental consist to Carlisle yard and a Northern 158 arrive from Leeds heading for Platform 6. We have the road to London Road Junction. We stop just after the junction and the signalman give us the clear to enter Upperby sidings and yard. After a stop to take on needed water for the trip over the Dales, we head back to Carlisle Station to meet up with our coaches ready for part 4 and the run to Settle. It should be a good one as the weather is clearing.

Obviously to keep the scenario interesting, the time has been condensed but it's still 30 minutes of less than ordinary movements.
Race for the lights
You never know what you'll see at the Citadel
Once he's out of the way we can move
Pjt1974
Passed Fireman

Next

Return to Scenario Creation