Driver change in a scenario

Re: Driver change in a scenario

Postby Carinthia » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:34 am

Here is a quick and dirty test scenario for the Great Western main Line route, scenario name is "CARINTHA TEST LIGHT ENGINE". It isn't perfect (see below) but those issues are not relevant to the question.

I think the art of not getting a failed instruction red cross is to not leap into the locomotive immediately, but to let it fully stop and allow the time for the timer for the stop to start working. In other words, don't rush it.

Known issues, which I don't think affected my first test on another route, so are probably down to haste:
  • Scenario does not show in Scenarios list, I started it from the editor
  • Nor did it show in Utilities.exe, so I couldn't supply as an RWP
  • The next task does not show on the F4 view, but the scenario can be completed (with a pat on the back) if you stop in the right place - see the map.

I was so hasty I didn't even spell "Carinthia" correctly! But it demonstrates the point.

Best regards,

John
Attachments
TEST_LE.zip
(21.88 KiB) Downloaded 642 times
Carinthia
Full Time Fireman

Postby brysonman46 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:01 am

Just ran your test scenario - worked a treat. Then ran 5 published, timetabled, driver exchange ones - all failed. Changed the one I had to "stop @ stopping point @ ..." still failed! I am waiting a few seconds after the AI comes to a stop before clicking on it, but to no avail. Got me stumped!
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Postby brysonman46 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:18 am

Just rerun your scenario, but changed to a stopping passenger (added coaches to the light engine). Now fails to get the tick for the first task. So it would appear to work for a light engine, but not for anything else.
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Postby Carinthia » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:33 pm

brysonman46 wrote:Just rerun your scenario, but changed to a stopping passenger (added coaches to the light engine). Now fails to get the tick for the first task. So it would appear to work for a light engine, but not for anything else.

Aha! Always something to catch us out.

J
Carinthia
Full Time Fireman

Postby brysonman46 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:29 pm

Thanks anyway. At least we know it works for a light engine, though that may not be particularly useful.
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Postby AndiS » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:08 pm

Well, it is a straw to start the debugging. Though we are the wrong persons to do it. My guess is that when AI performs stuff like pick up passengers, this is not booked in the same way as it is for players. The programmers might simply have used one "success list" for the one player train instead of many for the many AI trains. Then when you take over an AI train, it has an empty record of "success". Stop-an instructions may well not count, they are more the trigger for the next part of the route to be set, they need to be managed for AI, too.

This would explain why it worked for the light engine. But nothing helpful, just like you said.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:56 pm

Have you tried using a Stop At instruction rather than a Pick Up Passengers one?

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby AndiS » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:36 pm

Me not, I am just theorising.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby brysonman46 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:09 pm

Rockdoc2174 wrote:Have you tried using a Stop At instruction rather than a Pick Up Passengers one?

Keith

It was NOT a pick up passengers. The original ones which used to work were STOP AT...I had to use coaches for Carinthia's LE one as the platform road at Oxford is passenger only (freight not allowed). The bottom line now is that a scenario that you wish to have a driver take over control will always fail at the first hurdle - OK if it just for you, or you do not care to have "ticks" all the way, but not good for the Workshop or other point of distribution.
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Previous

Return to Scenario Creation