Driver change in a scenario

Driver change in a scenario

Postby brysonman46 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:59 pm

If one wishes to have a driver change in a scenario, usually at the start but could happen at any time, then it is a Timetable Scenario that should be used. The eventual Player train starts as an AI, and follows a set route to a suitable location where the Player can click on the train and take over the controls. I learnt this manoeuvre from the excellent MarleyMan tutorial "TS2013 Scenario Creation Tutorial Part 2 Passenger Operations.pdf" However, though this still works, the first task(s) - start to pick up point - no longer gets the "tick" for task completed successfully. Hence, the whole scenario fails. Is there a work around for this, or is this technique now confined to history, as was the linking scenario method.

Frustrated of Larbert - Nick
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Re: Driver change in a scenario

Postby AndiS » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:31 pm

I would say that this functionality was a hidden feature all the time. Or a misunderstanding. Changing trains during scenario was advertised as Train Jumping for Freeroam Scenarios, back in the days. However, it turned out that any scenario can have timetabled actions, simply set the tick mark next the clock icon. So a Freeroam Scenario is a Timetable Scenario.

Maybe someone at DTG saw it as cheating to get a tick for actions the AI performed. I never follow the 'success' rating side of this game at all. I know whether I crashed the train or not and I can look up the expected arrival time if I am interested. I don't do it for the tick marks, neither shown locally or on the net. So my recommendation is to do it the same. Take the train to the end of the mission and forget about what it says there.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby brysonman46 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:56 am

I too am unconcerned about getting the "ticks" for what I do, and generally convert all Career scenarios to Standard. I play the game for the enjoyment, not to beat the rest of the simmers at it. Have watched a few youtube clips showing one how to get top marks, but I would not have liked to have been a passenger in that train! However, if a scenario is to be published, very few of the subscribers would wish to "fail" if they had not done anything wrong. In the real world, driver changes for passenger trains take place at stations, and for freight the most convenient location (could be a station as well). Hence, this action should be part of the game. Now we are left with "You have just taken over the controls..." or have a rolling start to the scenario, neither of which is totally satisfactory (in my opinion), particularly if the end of a route is in a remote location. An example is Settle to Carlisle. From the south, one has to negotiate Settle Junction before arriving at Settle station - never a location for a driver change. Even more unrealistic is the journey south from Carlisle, which has to end at Settle (I doubt that station was ever a final destination in its 140 year history), so the drivers must change as well!
Ah well, back to the drawing board1

regards

Nick
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Postby Carinthia » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:38 pm

brysonman46 wrote:Hence, the whole scenario fails. Is there a work around for this, or is this technique now confined to history, as was the linking scenario method.

It works OK for me.

Just a wee question - have you tried the scenario afresh rather than straight from the editor?

John
Carinthia
Full Time Fireman

Postby brysonman46 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:08 pm

Do you get a "tick" for the part that the AI carried out?
I tried from the editor, so will try again from Drive.
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Postby Carinthia » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:19 pm

brysonman46 wrote:Do you get a "tick" for the part that the AI carried out?
I tried from the editor, so will try again from Drive.

I do indeed. Even starting from the editor in the simple test I set up. But the reason I mentioned that is that I noticed that some small change took place not long before TS2016 that sometimes causes the first instruction of a scenario to fail when loading after edit.

JOhn
Carinthia
Full Time Fireman

Postby brysonman46 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:54 pm

Just tried it from Dive, and still get a X. Also tried one that was published on the Workshop that had worked before - same result. Perhaps you could send me the one that worked for you - which route was it for?, mine was GWML.
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Postby brysonman46 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:17 pm

Just set up another timetabled scenario on the Bristol to Exeter. The only AI came into St Davids. I took control, and took it out of the station. Still got X for the start to stop at St Davids. Am I doing something wrong?
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Postby brysonman46 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:18 pm

Forgot to mention that I came out of edit, closed down and restarted, and went into Drive to run it.
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Postby Carinthia » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:32 pm

I'll sort something out for you soon. The test I did was on a route you don't have (or anybody else!). I'll create a fresh one on the route you mentioned - let's hope it works!

J
Carinthia
Full Time Fireman

Next

Return to Scenario Creation