MoD freight workings (WCMLS)

MoD freight workings (WCMLS)

Postby RobertM » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi all,

I am working on a MoD freight scenario for WCMLS running from Eastriggs MoD down to Preston with a pickup at Kingsmoor Yd for more MoD wagons from MoD Longtown/Smalmstow. Originally I had it set in the mid 80's but am now resetting it too the mid/late 70's, for more freight and stock variation, but I have some questions I was hoping I could get some help with...

a) What wagons would the MoD of used in the mid/late 70's. I had used a mix of VEA 12t Vans and VDA vans, but I suspect that the VDA's are a latter wagon type and wernt around in the 70's?
b) Would brakevans still be in use on mixed freight trains? Like this one.
c) What was the max permitted speed limit on MoD workings? 60mph?

Robert
RobertM
Full Time Fireman

Re: MoD freight workings (WCMLS)

Postby Carinthia » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:43 pm

RobertM wrote:b) Would brakevans still be in use on mixed freight trains? Like this one.

Not if the train was fully fitted.
RobertM wrote:c) What was the max permitted speed limit on MoD workings? 60mph?

If composed of (some) short wheelbase vans the speed will be 45 mph, during the early 1970s there was a series of derailments whilst running at 60 (attribuited to hunting on CWR) and they were reduced to 45.

According to http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brvda VDAs were introduced in 1975.

John
Carinthia
Full Time Fireman

Postby malkymackay » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:09 pm

The very first VDA vans were built in November 1975, but the first 50 VEA conversions didn't appear until 1978, with no more until 1981. Prior to the VEA appearing the original Vanwides were in use for MoD traffic and they were limited to 45mph, as John has mentioned, though if used with a VDA that would then become a partially fitted Class 8, which were 35mph .
From the info I have both Eastriggs and Longtown/Smalmstown were served by trip workings to/from Kingmoor and then worked forward on trunk services heading mainly to Severn Tunnel Junction.
malkymackay
Full Time Fireman

Postby RobertM » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:53 pm

Thanks, most helpful. I've reduced the number of VDA wagons and up't the number of VEA 12t vans to reflect the above. And I have reduced the speed limit. Now I have to rework all the AI :roll:
RobertM
Full Time Fireman

Return to Scenario Creation