Dullingham Goods Shed

Dullingham Goods Shed

Postby rivimey » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:36 pm

Thought I'd upload some pics of part of my latest project: Dullingham Station Goods shed.

I'm having some problems with some object textures not mapping properly in-game, despite 'Assigning' them as well as placing the UV faces on the texture. Any ideas for things to check? It is not right both in the Render view (using Blender Render) and in-game, but looks absolutely fine in Texture view
Attachments
Render3.jpg
Inside from the yard
Render2.jpg
Goods Yard view
Render1.jpg
Station House view
rivimey
Fit for Firing Duties

Re: Dullingham Goods Shed

Postby dom107 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:23 am

Hello Ruth,

Where is the texture problem?
Maybe because of some scaling?
When in edit mode, the face shows the correct image?
dom107
Engine Cleaner

Postby rivimey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:03 am

Hi Dom,

Yes, in all but Rendered view the textures look fine, and I have just gone and done 'Apply Scale and Rotation' just in case that helped: it didn't.

I attach two shots: they differ only in view mode. The first is in 'normal' textured mode, the second is in Rendered mode. Note that one object (top part of end wall of building and some side panels) is rendered with the wrong UV map and texture, and the bottom half of the end wall is missing entirely. I don't think that is because the normals are wrong but it could be something else.

TexturedView.jpg

RenderedView.jpg

Any thoughts gratefully received!
Ruth
rivimey
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Nobkins » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:00 am

Would you be willing to post a ZIP of your blender folder and textures? If I get chance I will then have a look for you in Blender on my machine.
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby bescotbeast » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:31 pm

Nice looking shed Ruth, wish we had a default building that big.
Simon
bescotbeast
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby VictoryWorks » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:52 pm

The first piece of advice that springs to mind is to be very wary of the texture view in Blender. It does not necessarily bear any correlation to the settings in the associated material or texture.
The texture view will show mapped whichever image you select in the drop down below the UV editor window whilst you have specific faces selected. The texture that the render engine uses (and obviously the igs) are those that are listed in the material textures. This has caused me to export models with completely the wrong textures on numerous occasions! I now have a "mental setting" of selecting the image in the UV editor and then immediately assigning the faces to the material to make sure they are always in sync.

The odd effects may be normals, may be an optical illusion caused by a stretched texture or even that the portion of the wall is mapped to an empty part of the texture.

You might be able to shed some light by selecting the object data tab, checking how many UV Maps you have - unless you are using a TS shader that supports additional mapping I would expect just one. If there are more than 1 then clicking on them will show you in the texture view how they have been mapped BUT ONLY VIA THE UV EDITOR WINDOW (see comment above!). Note that if you do not explicitly select UV mapping and choose a map for each texture in a material then both Blender exporters default to the first one on the list.
If you do only have 1, create a new map and in edit mode press U (UV Unwrapping) and then click Reset. Your original unwrap will not be lost, it will be the slot above the new one, this is just for testing and you can remove it afterwards - but it will mean you have a "clean sheet" and you can do a render (or an ambient bake onto a new image) and easily check that your normals are facing the correct way.

If you're still stumped I'm also happy to have a look at the offending file.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby rivimey » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks for the advice, folks I've tried to attach the relevant files, but the group is too large (7.5MB compressed with 7z) to do so.

Regarding texture view being misleading, I fully agree and have on many occasions had cause to regret it! In this case I am a little stumped though: I can't see the error, if I have made one! I have checked and double-checked the assignments and can't see the error with the invisible end face (though I did find a couple of others which fixed some issues :).

I have checked the normals: as far as I can tell they area all fine. I've only one UV map and part of my double-checking was to set it explicitly. I did catch a couple of 'left at "Generate" rather than "UV" errors that way, but sadly that didn't fix the main issue. If I could trouble you for a look at the file?

Edit: I've attached a pic of the current state

Ruth
Attachments
Dullingham-3.jpg
rivimey
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Nobkins » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:25 pm

rivimey wrote:I've tried to attach the relevant files, but the group is too large (7.5MB compressed with 7z) to do so.

Quota increased to 25Mb.

Should be ok to attach now.
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby rivimey » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks Jim, here is the upload. For space purposes I have halved the size of the largest texture so it is a mite fuzy.
Attachments
Dullingham.7z
Incomplete Dulingham Station in Blender
(7.51 MiB) Downloaded 549 times
rivimey
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby VictoryWorks » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:47 pm

Well that was a fun little diversion!

Fixed the problem
Fixed.JPG

You have a few normals the wrong way around but you can easily sort those by just selecting the whole part in edit mode, while in the texture view and see which bits are see-through, just select them and flip the normals.

The issue with the whole thing not rendering wasn't one I've seen before. At some point you've accidentally clicked off the setting to render that model part.
Bring up the Outliner and at the end of the row for the GoodsShed.WestEnd there is a little camera icon. That needs to be selected - like everything else is - otherwise it's not part of the render scene, and likely not exported by your exporter either.

Camera.JPG
Camera.JPG (13.07 KiB) Viewed 16686 times
VictoryWorks
Driver

Next

Return to Blender