Creating OHLE using the New TS2014 Method

Re: Creating OHLE using the New TS2014 Method

Postby Nobkins » Mon May 19, 2014 3:12 pm

I played around a lot with auto unwrap. In blender (not sure if it is any different in 3DS Max) you can not unwrap multiple objects at the same time. So everything would end up overlapping using automatic tools.

I have just finished manually unwrapping and the ambient maps make it look quite nice. I have used a 1024 x 1024 texture. not sure if this is too big or not. It is near track so I choose 1024 over 512 in case of extra detail requirements. However, most of it will be a shade of grey :D

Back to work tomorrow on early shifts but hope to be able to export it into the game for the 1st time tonight. It might end up being completely broken by the time it is in game... will have to wait and see!

Umm Ambient occlusion (drool drool) . . .
Flat with no ambient occlusion (to compare) . . .

Jim
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby RealRails » Mon May 19, 2014 9:10 pm

That is one detailed OHLE post! I am a bit worried about what my FPS will be around Leeds when you finish these :shock: :P
RealRails
General Shed Duties

Postby Nobkins » Mon May 19, 2014 10:56 pm

Hopefully not too bad. I have just been playing with LODS and also turning off the fine detail as you move away. I have the model in game. It worked first time (I was very surprised). It is just a static scenery object rather than set up as the new OHLE type but still I am pleased with progress today.

At the moment the most complex part(s) are the insulators. At a distance of >10m these turn into a single plane (well actually 2 planes back to back) but essentially we remove a large number of triangles without any noticeable change at >10m.

Also at >10m most of the bolts and fastenings are not shown. Again on my machine it is not noticeable when it happens (although due to a broken GFX card I am not running at very high res at all - might have to increase this slightly later).

At >30m the medium fixings are not shown such as clamps that hold the insulators to the tubes

At >50m the larger fixings are not shown

Then from 50m to 500m we only show the stanchion (relatively low poly), the main support tubes x4, and 3 double sided planes that are the insulators. I hope this will make it look great close up but not kill the game. Lots of trial and error ahead I am sure.

I hope Leeds FPS will be improved by using the new technique as I hope less individual objects will be needed thus reducing the number of draw calls. At the moment every insulator, support arm, post etc is an individual asset and thus makes a draw call. With the new technique I should be able to use a single asset for most situations thus reducing the draw calls by quite a large margin. That is the plan at least!

Jim
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby Nobkins » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:59 pm

Ok. Trying not to get bogged down in LOD tests etc I have pushed ahead with a video showing how to set up materials in blender, export in blender, make an ACE texture, creating a blueprint in the blueprint editor and final preview and test in game.

I have edited the original post to combine all the videos into a single post (rather than spread over several posts in this thread).

Part 4 is right at the bottom of the 1st post in this thread.

The video is still uploading to YouTube so it might be 30mins or so before you can see it.
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby Nobkins » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:57 pm

Help Please!

Right I have got the OHLE in game using the new technique but I am not happy about the amount of drop in the catenary (or support) wire.

I have made a video clip to show the new OHLE in game and the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/v/fiv3BfpSGuA

Does anyone know how to reduce the amount of drop in the support wire so it is not almost touching the contact wire?

Thanks

Jim
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby Nobkins » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:55 pm

Sorry for the lack of updates. Real world getting in the way.

I have made some progress. Spent three days learning the art of texturing within blender and also with gimp. I am certainly no expert but I think I am starting to get to grips with it. I have also made 2 lods. The 1st is the full detail version. This is currently displayed between 0 and 30m. from 30m to 1000m the 2nd lod is displayed. The 2nd lod is very low poly. Only 44 triangles. Initial tests on my machine (which is suffering from a lack of a seperate graphics card) seem to indicate that their is no obvious performance hit from using them. It won't be until I get the OHLE in Leeds on the TPR route replaced with these new models that I will know if it makes any difference to FPS etc.

I have also added a Ambient Occlusion map to the model to give it depth.

I have one model in game working with the auto placement tool. I will be now adapting that model to make other variants with great reaches etc for different situations.

Here are two renders, front and back.
Front (note the white ID plate)

Back

In game

I also was contemplating making some sort of script to automatically make the stanchion ID plate automatically add the line of route, miles in the route and stanchion with that mile. In my pics this is the white sign on the post that has LS at the top (line of route - Leeds - Skipton), 362 (362 miles along the route) and 08 (the 8th stanchion within the 362nd mile). Now I expect that this won't be possible (probably because they are not track linked items. I also expect that it is not worth the effort but I thought I would ask anyway.

I know I will need a texture set etc but I don't want to start down the route of making all of the textures etc until I know if this might be possible or not. Ideally I would like the stanchions to talk to a milepost marker and work out the distance from the marker and how many stanchions are with the mile. Then it would be all automatic. I think this is going to be wishful thinking though :D.

Any ideas / suggestions? Should I just can that idea?

Jim
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby Nobkins » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:59 pm

IMPORTANT
At time of writing their appears to be a bug with the current version of Train Simulator and the placement of OHLE using the auto tools. You can still test the OHLE but they will be about 1m too high off the ground (floating) when placed with the auto tools. I believe a fix is imminent but not yet released.

I did all my testing on an older copy of TS that I have TPR running on for development and did not realise about the bug.

Please do test just don't worry if they are floating!

Thanks

Jim

Anyone fancy beta testing the Cantilever models for me?

Attached is the zip you need. Just stick into assets.

Here is the contents of the ReadMe (also in the zip of course):

The Beta 1 contains the following:
  • Cantilever with various reaches (distance from post to track): 2.5m, 3.2m (default), 3.6m, 4.0m
  • Each also has two levels of stagger: 23cm for straights, 38cm for curves
  • Automatic placement tool for straights and curves. The game does not implement correct stagger unfortunately. Having seperate tools for curves and straights helps but still does not work 100% correctly. The straight tool uses only items with 23cm of stagger (the max stagger allowed on a straight). The curve tool only contains items with 38cm of stagger (the max stagger allowed on curves). To use the tools simply select the straight tool on straights and when you come to a curve select the curve tool. Then switch back when back on a straight. Then all you need to do is fill in the gaps between tools by selecting lofts --> misc tab and adding in the return and contact wires. If you wish to use only one tool you can do this and the curve is probably the best one to use.
  • You can place OHLE on single track and 2 track layouts. For 2 track layouts it will automatically adjust for different track spacings (within reason).
  • With 2 track layouts you have the option of having the same reach on for each cantilever in the pair but there are also different reach options (close to track on one side, further apart on other to allow for services (cables etc).

Notes:
  • I have included high res textures at the moment. They will be reduced for release as I have found I can reduce them by 3/4 and still look good.
  • Enable Nobkins-->TransPennine to access the content
  • The content all starts with OHE to make it easier to find.
  • If you have never used "new style" gantry tools then watch Darrens great videos here:
    http://www.youtube.com/v/pRuCG7VByGw
    http://www.youtube.com/v/_XZ_rBXTtmk

Feedback I would like
All feedback!

However, things I would like views on in particular:
  • I have tried to optimise the items as much as possible. High detail close up but a 2nd LOD kicks in at 5m that is much lower. Can you see the lods change (look at the insulators to spot the switch if you can). Is this annoying? Should I increase it so the 2nd LOD comes in later? Doing so will mean that the high detail model is displayed for longer (performance???).

Enjoy!

I will be working on headspan, portal and semi portal versions once I am happy with these. Learnt a huge amount along the way and I think I have rebuilt these close to 10 times already!

Cheers

Jim
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby Nobkins » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:34 am

Anyone fancy a little beta testing? Just download the file in the previous post. Pretty please :D

Currently working on some Midpoint cantilever models. Each wire runs for approx 30 stanchions / masts. At the mid point (number 15) the wire is anchored to stop horizontal movement (drag). There are 3 posts that make up the mid point.

Then I will be making some overlap posts and some booster posts (often found at overlaps).

That should pretty much cover Cantilever models (or at least the Mk3a versions).

I was going to then move onto Headspan followed by portal and semi portal. That would leave only Mk1 Cantilever. I have not spotted any Mk1 in the TPR route which is why I am leaving it until last. The idea is to release a full pack of OHLE (possibly as a freeware pack) but also make the source files available for anyone who wants to see how it was done etc.

I have to say a huge thank you to Clive Mortimore. Without his posts and drawings this would have been much harder indeed.
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby Pauls » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:37 pm

As usual Nice work Jim !!! - thanks for going to so much trouble with the tutorials - looks I have some new things to learn.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Nobkins » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:52 am

Midpoints are now complete. Attached is the updated ZIP. I will endeavour to make a video tomorrow showing off the OHE. My computer graphics card does not handle capture and playing TS at the same time very well. See what I can do.
OHE Mk3a Cantilever Beta 2.7z
(1.9 MiB) Downloaded 870 times

Jim
Nobkins
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Blender