Simple Tutorial

Simple Tutorial

Postby BigVern » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:08 am

Now that my PC's will no longer run 3D Canvas/Crafter guess it's time to start learning Blender.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a simple tutorial which will give me the knowledge I need to construct simple station signs, etc.? All the tutorials I've managed to locate on Google seem more advanced and are doing my head in, along with the Blender interface/nomenclature!
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Re: Simple Tutorial

Postby VictoryWorks » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:49 am

There is a pretty good beginners guide to the interface here http://www.instructables.com/id/Beginners-Guide-to-Blender/
It's for 2.63, I haven't tried 2.7x yet (I'm mid-project so haven't upgraded yet!), but Blender tends to keep the basics the same despite any changes.

After that it's best to find a simple project to make something specific - even if it's got nothing to do with trains. I built landscapes, a gingerbread man, a sword, a simple boat, anything that gets you familiar with the interface.
Just have a google and find a step by step tutorial to make something simple that you fancy. You can go as far as texturing and rendering it (if the tutorial goes that far) if you want to - and it will make your more familiar with Blender - but that bit's not essential as TS uses texture mapping and most Blender tutorials now use the internal texture system and the internal renderer, called Cycles.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby mhuebner » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi,

a good source of learning materials are on youtube. Search for blender beginner 8-)

greetings Michael
mhuebner
Engine Cleaner

Postby Nobkins » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:26 pm

Might a plug one of my own videos to get you started making a forward facing tree.

It shows you right from installing blender and the exporter, through to making the model in blender, exporting the IGS file and setting up a blueprint in the blueprint editor and then the final export into game.

I have also attached my source files generated in the video series to help.

This is one of the simplest things to create and means you actually get something in game (which is always satisfying) quite quickly.

I have found learning blender easiest when you have an actual project on the go. It is a steep learning curve to start with but after a while it starts to make sense :D

Here is my video:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=109

Good luck.
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby BigVern » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:49 pm

Thanks guys, I'll check those out in due course.
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Return to Blender