Getting the shape right.

Getting the shape right.

Postby deltic009 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:58 am

Hello everyone, I have a bit of a dilemma. It wasn't a crossroads I initially imagined coming to but I am here now and just a single child object away.

On my Deltics I have used 4k by 4k textures to be able to replicate a lot of intricate detail that is missing on the 1k by 1k textures used by default. However, as I have worked along on this project I have been slowly I have been replacing the detailed areas with child objects for varying reasons and I now find myself with only one area needing a child object and then i can revert back to a lower resolution texture. The problem is it is one of the most awkward areas to try and replicate the shape of the train in order to create a custom object - it is the edge of the nose section where the overhead warning sticker sits.

Is there any tips/cheats I can use to make this small shape in Blender so that it sits right and looks right more importantly. I'm not very familiar with creating curves in Blender, but of course it is also a very tricky shape to measure as well, because I think it splays toward the bottom (although in actual fact I don't suppose it should as the stickers themselves are rectangular).

Also, would it be better to make the sticker shape as a rectangle/plane and then manipulate the shape, or to make a curved edge and then extrude as required?

Thanks all in advance for assisting.
deltic009
Full Time Fireman

Re: Getting the shape right.

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:32 am

Hi Matt,

You'll know way more than I do about modelling, but I wonder if a simple rectangle with the warning sticker texture mapped on it, tilted slightly to line it up with the tangent of the nose profile, and using TrainDecal.fx shader would suffice? Simple to model, and the shader should cast the warning sticker texture of the rectangle onto the surface of the nose.

Kind regards,
Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Return to Blender