Counting Sheep

Counting Sheep

Postby eyore » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:00 pm

Thought I would try to create something a little different and have some animated animals, rather than the static ones we currently see on routes.

So, I got myself a model sheep, rigged it, skinned it and animated it. I then used an animated procedural scenery blueprint and got it working in game.

Next, I created a Platform Character blueprint using the sheep animated procedural and, lastly, made an invisible platform populated by the Platform Character sheep, and it worked!

Unfortunately, the sheep bumped into each other, so I went back to the animated scenery blueprint and added a collision geometry but it no longer worked. So, I removed the collision geometry and it still refuses to work.

Having worked once I cannot see why it refuses to work again. Have done all the usual delete .pak etc, without success. Has anyone else been down this route and able to point out where I may be going astray?
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Re: Counting Sheep

Postby VictoryWorks » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:40 pm

Sorry mate I've no idea how to help on this one, but 11 out of 10 for a genius idea! :)

Maybe try deleting the entire Asset version, start the game and then close it down, and then do a full re-export from the Source?
Also check you haven't inadvertently typed an extra character somewhere in a field in the blue print without noticing, I seem to be forever doing that lately.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby eyore » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:02 pm

Ok, I think I've solved the problem .... it doesn't like being anywhere near a tile border!

So, here's a first glimpse of my field of sheep.

http://youtu.be/VQ6k7JZjNCk

The skins and animations need a lot of work, and collision geometry makes them swerve but not avoid each other, so still a WIP.
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Postby AndiS » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:42 pm

Incredible! I remember putting that on my wish list for KRS back in 2005 (here and here).

I had no idea about passenger animation back then, tough. So my thoughts were more complex (as always).

Anyway, thanks for taking care of a woefully neglected aspect of railway simulation. And kudos for striving into the dark land of passenger animation. I don't know of another person who did that.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby SteamSoundsSupreme » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:37 pm

Great stuff Phil!!! The sheep look a little nervous, always looking round, checking whats behind them! Have you programmed in paranoia?! :roll: :lol:
SteamSoundsSupreme
Passed Fireman

Postby Nobkins » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:10 pm

SteamSoundsSupreme wrote:The sheep look a little nervous, always looking round, checking whats behind them! Have you programmed in paranoia?!

I think he has a sheep dog just off camera :D

Great work. Really impressed.
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby AndiS » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:43 pm

SteamSoundsSupreme wrote:Great stuff Phil!!! The sheep look a little nervous, always looking round, checking whats behind them! Have you programmed in paranoia?! :roll: :lol:

This nervousness must be built into the game core. All the passengers fumble about as if they had no ticket. What should the sheep say then.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby yerkes » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:37 pm

That's brilliant. Incredible how much more alive the landscape looks with that bit of realism thrown in.

Unlike the passengers, I guess the sheep can't look at their watches - they'd lose their baaalance.
yerkes
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby eyore » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:15 pm

AndiS wrote:
SteamSoundsSupreme wrote:Great stuff Phil!!! The sheep look a little nervous, always looking round, checking whats behind them! Have you programmed in paranoia?! :roll: :lol:

This nervousness must be built into the game core. All the passengers fumble about as if they had no ticket. What should the sheep say then.

I'm still trying to make sense of the Platform characters, but there are three animations required, walk, shuffle and wait, which appear to be part of the game core.

I therefore apologise for the paranoid sheep, but I just made 3 quick animations to test the principle rather than spending hours on something that didn't work.
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:54 pm

DTG have just unveiled that part of TS2015 will be an update to platform characters including new ones doing new things like listening to MP3 players and using their phones. This might well change that 3 part system..... purely speculation though.
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Next

Return to 3D Objects General