Gone but not forgotten

Gone but not forgotten

Postby briyeo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:53 pm

A few years ago I passed a local industrial building that caught my eye, it was really nothing special but it had a basic style of art deco frontage. I made a mental note to go back and photograph it but found out a few days ago that it had been demolished earlier this summer. I had an idea that I would still be able to find the building on Google street view, and there it was, and the images from Google were quite decent. I think the building was the garage for a local company Birnham Products. So many of these older industrial buildings have been lost in my area in recent years, not to mention the railway ones that have disappeared.

This my take on it, I would really like to know what it looked like in the 1950's.

briyeo
Driver

Re: Gone but not forgotten

Postby Dave Fennessy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:26 pm

I'm with you on this one. I'm not a luddite or someone who doesn't like change, yet I do feel that older buildings are demolished all too readily. Getting buildings listed is still a hat up into the air affair. Fair-dos if they are falling down or otherwise unsafe but not so based on a financial or faddy decision. Despite it's run-down state that was a fine building. I imagine it once boasted some luxuriant sign-writing. I wouldn't be as annoyed if they replaced the buildings with something that didn't look like they were made out of egg-boxes or Lego. There was something similar round the corner to me, it was a brick hanger in Hawkinge where they used to store Hurricanes during WW2. The building was sound but it didn't fit in with the several houses they knocked it down for. The houses are the epitome of modern design - bland and 'within a budget'.

Fine model, love the roof textures.
Quietly beavering away on two routes
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Re: Gone but not forgotten

Postby Pauls » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:12 am

Nice model !!!

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Return to 3D Objects General