Dynamic numbering on signals?

Re: Dynamic numbering on signals?

Postby Caliban » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:41 pm

Objects for number arrays like this:

1_xxxx_primarydigits_4: has 4 quads mapped with textures called Primarynumber_0 through 3 from left to right ( so the 0 is in the highest digit spot )
1_xxxx_primarydigits_5: has 5 quads and as above. It's in the same physical position as the above
1_xxxx_primarydigits_6: has 6 quads... you can see the pattern.

Enter a 4 digit number and the 4 quad model is used, enter a 6 digit and the 6 quad one is used. All there is to it.

I've generally called the materials whatever I feel like ( albeit prefixing with decal_ ), despite being told not to. The texture map names are important though.
Caliban
General Shed Duties

Re: Dynamic numbering on signals?

Postby AndiS » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:29 am

It's document 4.04 Asset Authoring Guidelines. Section 4.3 Mileposts and 4.4. Speed Signs.

The thing with scripting or not is that at start-up, the content of the ID fields is copied to the two texture sets (if there are two). After that, the script is free to mess with what is shown using the SetText call.

The stupid bit about it is that the script only gets the content of both ID fields concatenated. So the script does not know what goes to the first texture set and what to the second. It needs its own rules, to decide that. This only troubles you if there is a secondary texture set at all, though.

I quite love the idea of doing the numbering in a semi-automatic way. But how near it gets to the prototype, and how much you care about the difference, heavily depends on the setting (the image era & area).
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Previous

Return to 3D Objects General