Bizarre lighting problems

Bizarre lighting problems

Postby irishrailguy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:43 pm

I've never seen or experienced this one before, I don't think anyone else has either to be honest as I can't see anything online about it.

My signal model has forever been plagued by a strange lighting error that seems to only occur on every other export of the blueprints. As you can probably see in the below screenshot, the arm is totally unlit aside from the white band, which is incredibly bright, but the post (which is the parent model, the arm is a child) is lighted properly. This only seems to happen on the TrainBumpSpecEnvMask.fx shader, but I can strangely fix the issue by re-exporting the same data, yet if I was to export it again I'd end up with the same issue. This has happened to the post model too, but for some reason I'm not getting the issue with it much anymore.

I haven't modified the shader's settings much from the default, but I have set the 1st UV argument to 7 for a loose phong highlight, with a specular level of 2.

I'd like to know if anyone has ever heard of this problem before, it's very odd as it appears as if the object is reverse lit, you can see the sun through the model if you position yourself in between the model and the sun itself, plus the specular shine starts to appear the closer you move to a parallel position to the model.

Anyway, interested to hear what others have to say on the matter!

Thanks,

Kevin
irishrailguy
Fit for Firing Duties

Re: Bizarre lighting problems

Postby VictoryWorks » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:04 pm

Are any of the scales (X,Y,Z) of the object mirrored or set to -1?
I've had issues where 1 axis scale was mirrored so at certain angles you were actually seeing the inside of the object and the lighting was all messed up as well.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby irishrailguy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:28 pm

The X/Y/Z values of my scale all say 100%, so I don't think that's the issue.

Don't know how the issue is with the model if the issue isn't persistent, it's fine when I re-export the exact same source data...

Kevin
irishrailguy
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby eyore » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:21 am

Maybe it's me that's being stupid, but I thought phong settings had to be a multiple of 2?
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Postby irishrailguy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:48 am

eyore wrote:Maybe it's me that's being stupid, but I thought phong settings had to be a multiple of 2?

Really? Hmm never heard of that one before, but it doesn't seem to make a difference if it's at 15 or 16, I'm still getting the problem.

However what's making this even more odd is that each variant of the signal (different models and blueprints) gets the bug when it happens to one variant. The problem has also occurred with the signal posts of 2 of the 4 variants, no lighting occurs on either post along with all the arms, but re-exporting just one of the versions will fix all of them :?
irishrailguy
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Pauls » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:28 pm

irishrailguy wrote:
eyore wrote:Maybe it's me that's being stupid, but I thought phong settings had to be a multiple of 2?

Really? Hmm never heard of that one before, but it doesn't seem to make a difference if it's at 15 or 16, I'm still getting the problem.

However what's making this even more odd is that each variant of the signal (different models and blueprints) gets the bug when it happens to one variant. The problem has also occurred with the signal posts of 2 of the 4 variants, no lighting occurs on either post along with all the arms, but re-exporting just one of the versions will fix all of them :?

Might be a texture conversion problem if its affecting all of your signals ? - Can you check the TgPcDx files out with something like RsBinTool.exe ? - As a stop-gap solution you could at least then keep the good TgPcDx files in a safe place to overwrite the bad ones when required ?

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Return to 3D Objects General