Modifying an existing 3D object in a DLC

Modifying an existing 3D object in a DLC

Postby brysonman46 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:11 am

Andy Freeman and I are in the process of regressing the Liverpool to Manchester route back to the BR Blue days, specifically early 1980s, with the intention of publishing it on the Steam Workshop. We have finished landscaping the new Edge Hill layout, which now includes what was left of Edge Hill sheds in the 80s, stabling sidings and the Circular line which ran on an embankment around the sheds and across the line to Chat Moss (and beyond ). In the DTG version of the route ( modern day ) the viaduct leading up to the Circular line is correctly cut short...the remaining section having been demolished and the sheds area having been built on to create Wavertree Business Park. The end of the shortened viaduct has a metal railing fence across it which blocks access to the restored circular line. Unfortunately when the route was created the viaduct section and metal railing were fused together as a single asset so we cannot remove the metal railing fence. This cannot be seen when driving by on a passing train on the main line but does spoil the effect slightly. Any train coming up the slope and on to the Circular can be driven through the fence, so it does not present a collision problem. However, it is not terribly nice aesthetically.
Is there anybody out there who could edit the blueprint for this viaduct section and remove the offending piece of fencing? A modified ramp would preferably be WS compatible, and use the same Blueprint (Geo file), and I suspect it would be the Texture file that would need amending. If not WS compatible, it could be posted as a freeware item. Please PM me if you do not wish to use the open forum.
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Re: Modifying an existing 3D object in a DLC

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:40 am

I don't have this route or the asset in question, but one avenue that might be worth exploring is to see if the fencing is a separate node to the main bridge object. If it is, then I think it is possible to create a scripted scenery blueprint, add a script with some line of code that hides the offending node, and then add the geo directory to the blueprint. This wouldn't be workshop compatible though, as far as I know.

Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Re: Modifying an existing 3D object in a DLC

Postby brysonman46 » Thu May 21, 2015 6:58 pm

cjbarnes5294 wrote:I don't have this route or the asset in question, but one avenue that might be worth exploring is to see if the fencing is a separate node to the main bridge object. If it is, then I think it is possible to create a scripted scenery blueprint, add a script with some line of code that hides the offending node, and then add the geo directory to the blueprint. This wouldn't be workshop compatible though, as far as I know.

Chris

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this is outside my sphere of current knowledge. The texture file when viewed in RWTools is optimised so it is nigh impossible to see the fence (which in game looks like a standard piece of fencing), so I suspect it is called as a child in the Geo. There is no mention of the fence in the bin (xml) file. As I said, it does not affect the running of consists, but it is weird driving through it. As a last resort I could cobble together a replacement bridge/viaduct from existing assets, but it would not have the authenticity of the one supplied.

Nick
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Return to 3D Objects General