Telegraph Poles

Telegraph Poles

Postby eyore » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:40 pm

Struggling with how to make my own telegraph poles when I came across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru6CBVt9EJM which uses telegraph poles which appear to use the catenary features of train sim.

Does anyone know where these are from and/or point me at a guide on how to do this?
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Re: Telegraph Poles

Postby eyore » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:30 pm

OK, no answers so I continued searching and found this tutorial https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzuoZRfI-rtqWnhPa01xOFpiZlE and thought I'd post the link for anyone else having the same problem.

Now have my Gantry Telegraph poles in game.

Still need to work out how to create a gantry placement tool and I have, so far, failed to identify the source of the Telegraph poles in the video in my original post.

Any help still appreciated!
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:47 pm

Hi Phil,

Would this thread by Jim in the Blender section be any use? It's for OHLE but I believe the underlying principles are the same?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=135

Kind regards,
Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby eyore » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:52 pm

Hi Chris

Thanks for your post, but I have watched Jim's videos,which are very helpful.

I think I was a little unclear in my post. I have worked out how to create a train gantry tool blueprint that follows the track, but not one that behaves like the ones in the video I posted.

Apologies for the misdirection.
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Postby eyore » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:05 am

For those of you following my struggles with these telegraph poles, I now have a tool which places poles wherever I like and then adds the wires automatically. This requires, not unsurprisingly, the Wire connector blueprint.

One of the reasons for persisting with this method can be seen in the picture - it allows me to switch from side to side of the track, as telegraph poles were, traditionally, on the inside of the curve.
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Postby Pauls » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:25 am

Nice work Phil - this will be an incredibly useful feature.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Stone75 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:25 pm

Probably a daft question but here goes anyway :shock: If you move the last placed post, will the lines reset or remain in place ? Same again if you adjust elevation ? They do look good though ;)

steve
Stone75
Passed Fireman

Postby eyore » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:51 pm

Stone75 wrote:Probably a daft question but here goes anyway :shock: If you move the last placed post, will the lines reset or remain in place ? Same again if you adjust elevation ? They do look good though ;)

steve

You can move the post as much as you like when you place it but after that you can move the post but the wires don't move.
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:44 pm

The poles along the Friargate Line varied in height. For the most part this kept the lines at a constant height relative to the running lines so, for example, there were shorter examples along Ford Street viaduct in Derby but at the Giltbrook viaduct the poles were enormously long, the wires running alongside the lines but the poles fixed into the ground below.Would it be possible for poles of different lengths to be linked together by this method?

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby eyore » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:50 pm

Rockdoc2174 wrote:...Would it be possible for poles of different lengths to be linked together by this method?

Keith

The answer is yes!

I am away from my PC at the moment so can't show you any pictures, but I will post some when I get home.

You need to create a set for each type of pole you require, placing them using the tool, then join the different sets manually.
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Next

Return to 3D Objects General