Concern over TrainDecal.fx

Re: Concern over TrainDecal.fx

Postby briyeo » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:29 pm

Do the decals glow at night? I hadn't noticed mine glowing, I better check that out. The main plus of TrainDecal.fx over other possible decal methods is that it allows rivets, panel lines and also the beading on my bus to show through. I can live with the red coloured decals on selection in the Editor, I just thought I was doing something wrong.

EDIT:-
The Decals don't have to glow, my bus adverts certainly don't.

briyeo
Driver

Postby VictoryWorks » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:09 am

Decals are great as they don't just sit like a floating plane but actually project onto the object "behind" them if the angle of the viewer isn't too obtuse.

The problem with them glowing, etc. is to do with how the textures on the object that the decals are placed over is set up. Often if it's been set with too high a specular (which has maybe been offset by using a very dark diffuse texture rather than sorting out the specular properly) and then a white or lightly coloured decal image can become very bright. You can darken the decal which helps, but really it needs to be fixed via correcting the specular (and then likely the diffuse) of the underlying object.
I've not tried any alternatives as I love TrainDecal.fx but the difficulty of using others comes with z-fighting and also the limited number of shaders that support full bit alpha channels for transparency. Some of us probably remember the original dynamic numbering shader (you only had 1 choice that supported an alpha channel) that only allowed 8 bit transparency and made the numbers look very blocky indeed.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby briyeo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:10 pm

In Crafter as long as you set Diffuse=40 and Ambient=1, you can be sure it won't glow in TS2016 at night. I like the way TrainDecal.fx will wrap around a 3D rivet head.

briyeo
Driver

Postby VictoryWorks » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:09 pm

Yeah I love the projection effect. And nicely demonstrated using a proper companies loco, Brian :P :lol:
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:34 pm

Good points all well made, this will be something to do with the lack of glowing issues I have had with my own content using this shader. Also, agreed on the proper company there. ;) :lol:
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby briyeo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:40 pm

Matt made me do it Pete :-)
briyeo
Driver

Previous

Return to 3D Objects General