Hawthorn hedges

Re: Hawthorn hedges

Postby Pauls » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:44 am

That looks very promising Andi ! - nice 'solid' hedgerow but without any regular shape or flat top - it might be that you could try less density and it would still look good ?

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Pauls » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi Andi,

I did a quick experiment with a Sketchup render at Snells Nook with your Hawthorn hedge ........

I though it was quite effective - it takes the hardness away from the image and starts to make it look more natural even though the LNWR base map is still there rather than grass.

Obviously I wouldn't use your hedgerow image without your permission. Its just for a temporary experiment.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby AndiS » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:46 pm

Excellent demonstration showing
a) any lame image works ok if you arrange it dense enough.
b) cruciform items always have a perspective from which they look less than good. (see middle picture)

I am thinking about clever ways to arrange static planes. In your case, placing two longitudinal in parallel, spaced by a metre or a bit more, could go some way to improve image two. The reason I don't put more energy into this is that you need to match the arrangement of the planes with the picture and that sounds like handwork. Given all the miles of hedges (and shrub) near railway lines worldwide, I always keep an eye on scaling up, i.e., simplifying large scale placement.

Re. permission: Since you are the one who made me google hawthorn, you will end up with a load of stuff. And I prefer public domain images over CC share alike as I don't want to put any burden on figuring out what that means in the context of route building on anyone who uses these assets in the end. The present picture is just a dummy that looks a would better than my hand-drawn dummy, but not more.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Pauls » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:02 pm

Hi Andi,

I'm on a learning curve with foliage - I'll break the cruciform to see if it gives an improvement.

Perhaps use LOD'S to always get dense foliage near to the viewer ?

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Previous

Return to 3D Objects General