Starting out

Re: Starting out

Postby AndiS » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:27 am

You export the box as a separate IGS and create an Editor shape blueprint for it. These are objects only showing in World Editor. Then you make that a child object of the scenery object that is the bike or whatever.
Original information here.

I never tried that for the purpose of selecting scenery. But I can confirm that the visibility trick works, even if the editor-only object is child of something else. I used it as a placement guide for signals back in the day when they would not snap to align with the track.

I will need to experiment with this myself, it seems. My hopes that a collision box would help matters were not fulfilled.

I found though that you can select difficult object by dragging up a circle and after that, you can drag about the (new style) gizmo like you would drag the object. But you cannot select it by clicking on it, you need the circle.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Pauls » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:21 am

briyeo wrote:I made a viwer facing Policeman, they are always watching you anyway :) , I couldn't get it to select at all, I put a solid cube below it but that meant you had to go under the terrain to select it. Never thought about an invisible box, how would you make it invisible, with the Alpha layer?

Hi Brian,

Yes - use the alpha layer.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Pauls » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:23 am

AndiS wrote:You export the box as a separate IGS and create an Editor shape blueprint for it. These are objects only showing in World Editor. Then you make that a child object of the scenery object that is the bike or whatever.
Original information here.

I never tried that for the purpose of selecting scenery. But I can confirm that the visibility trick works, even if the editor-only object is child of something else. I used it as a placement guide for signals back in the day when they would not snap to align with the track.

I will need to experiment with this myself, it seems. My hopes that a collision box would help matters were not fulfilled.

I found though that you can select difficult object by dragging up a circle and after that, you can drag about the (new style) gizmo like you would drag the object. But you cannot select it by clicking on it, you need the circle.

Hi Andi,

Never thought of doing it as a child object - however I find it easy just to add to the parent model at the end of the design process.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby briyeo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:23 pm

The invisible box worked very well Paul, now why didn't I think of that ;)

briyeo
Driver

Postby Pauls » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:37 pm

:lol:
Pauls
Driver

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:55 am

It would be worth breaking the law to be arrested by her! What police station does she work from? :lol:

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby acorncomputer » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:24 pm

One for the library I think :o

-
Geoff Potter - Doing Something
acorncomputer
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby briyeo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:59 pm