TrainUberShader.fx - the (not so) mysterious "aux"

TrainUberShader.fx - the (not so) mysterious "aux"

Postby JamesLit » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:32 am

Slot/channel 3 of the TrainUberShader.fx is simply called "aux". What actually is this? I haven't had the chance to experiment yet, and I have been weighing up whether to use UberShader over one of the other more traditional shaders like TrainBumpSpecEnvMask, but if I don't know how UberShader works...... :D
Last edited by JamesLit on Mon May 02, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Re: TrainUberShader.fx - the mysterious "aux"

Postby eyore » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:39 am

I haven't used this shader, but the best description I have found on how to use it is here http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=366&t=134254&hilit=Trainubershader.fx which shows the aux as a 4 channel texture with an _nmc suffix, and each channel having a specified use....ao/spec/env/emissive

Note that because an _nm file is specified (in the normal map slot) the game automatically replaces it with _nmc which would clash with the aux file, therefore the export must be forced from the editor to retain the _nm extension on the bump map.
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:58 am

OH dear. :lol: I just misread the description of the shader in Max... well, I suppose that's what I get for trying to do something constructive at one o'clock in the morning.

I'm happy, now. As you were, folks! Thanks mate. :lol: :roll:
JamesLit
Driver

Postby malkymackay » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:01 am

TrainUberShader works very nicely indeed, I've been using it on recent work. If you name the bump and aux textures appropriately, you shouldn't have any clashes with suffixes. I've just been creating the aux texture from the result of the AO bake and then adjusting the other channels in Photoshop as required.
malkymackay
Full Time Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:06 am

malkymackay wrote:TrainUberShader works very nicely indeed, I've been using it on recent work. If you name the bump and aux textures appropriately, you shouldn't have any clashes with suffixes. I've just been creating the aux texture from the result of the AO bake and then adjusting the other channels in Photoshop as required.

That sounds like a good way to do it.

I was gonna say, unless there's some sort of oddity with the naming conventions for this shader, I would just name the maps as I normally do - nrm for normals, rather than nm, aux for aux, diff for diffuse, etc etc, so no clashes with nm and nmc stuff.
JamesLit
Driver

Return to 3D Objects General