Tunnel Loft

Re: Tunnel Loft

Postby AndiS » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:00 am

briyeo wrote:I was just looking at the developer notes earlier, there is a first time for everything, and it says that non-fx shaders produce double sided textures automatically, but I used LoftTexDiff.fx for this.

Now that is the perfect explanation. Good old RTFM is really an undervalued option, even for me who is rather literacy-crazy.

My automatically double-sided quad certainly were non-.fx and TrDiff that is my default shader now is actually TrainBasicObjectDiffuse.fx, thus .fx.

So I would stop worrying about Crafter's material feature. Just try out an .fx shader if you are that curious and you will find your model perfect. Nothing to fix about non-.fx shaders, and like said before, it does not matter underground.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby briyeo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:55 am

I used a fx shader though Andi, LoftTexDiff.fx. It's either something Crafter can't do or more likely I haven't found the relevant actions required. I shall worry about it no longer in any case ;)
briyeo
Driver

Postby AndiS » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:47 pm

Now that was some sloppy reading on my part. :oops: I was so shocked by the clarity of the explanation that I skipped the .fx in your loft shader.

So in conclusion I feel happy because I learnt a bit but you don't have an answer, other than not to worry about it.

I tried Google myself without finding anything useful. You certainly have this Double Sided plug-in by Paul 'Decapod'. I don't see how you could do more than making the model double sided then deleting the outer shell, which is exactly what you did.

On a second thought, I would say that DTG made the decision to make the loft shaders double-sided even if that is a violation of the convention that .fx are not, simply because it is what people want most of the time. You either never see the other side as in trackbed and tunnels or you want both sides to be visible as in fences and those tree lines that were a bit dated on release already. And if you really want a different backside, you just add another side and space it a bit off the first one.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Previous

Return to 3D Objects General