Two faced clock

Two faced clock

Postby briyeo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:23 pm

I'm attempting to make a clock for Derby Friargate station, its a good size clock with two clock faces angled at about 45 degrees. I was hoping that I could make this clock as one model, but would the Analog Clock Blueprint enable me to do that? I'm following Mike Rennie's tutorial on making a station clock, he explains that the analog clock blueprint animates the hour hand first then the minute hand and then the seconds hand if there is one required. So that sounds like it won't be able to animate the two hour hands and two minute hands on my model, is that right?

This is the best photo I have of the clock

briyeo
Driver

Re: Two faced clock

Postby AndiS » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:51 pm

I cannot locate any documentation on analogue clocks. That said, I guess it will be a limitation in the animation complexity that the game supports.

Blender will let you have two hour hands that rotate in sync, and to for the minutes. But how you sync such an animation with scenario time is another question.

However, the best option will be to just forget the complex solution if you have a working one for the simple case. Just put two clocks there. It may be less efficient than a single one, if you get it working and if the solution then is not just as complex as having two simple ones. And it will cut development time by a day or more.
Last edited by AndiS on Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby briyeo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:59 pm

I guess that is what I will do then, thanks for the reply AndiS.
briyeo
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:40 pm

Just as a quick note, I'm sure Andi is spot on - especially as all of the 2 faced clocks I have seen in TS over the years have always had 2 separately placed sets of hands. :)
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby sumitsingh » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:54 am

I have a tutorial on Clock.
sumitsingh
Full Time Fireman

Postby briyeo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:00 am

Yes James but how do you animate 2 sets of hands when the Analog Clock Blueprint doesn't appear to allow for 2 sets of hands to be animated. How do you set up the blueprint to do the hands of two clock faces? The only information I have is that the first auto animation does the hour hand the second auto animation does the minute hand and the third does the seconds hand. I wasn't trying to do two clock faces with one set of hands, even I'm not that daft, sometimes. ;)

The hands are missing from the other face on my model simply because I gave up on it working for the moment. I had fitted and animated all the clock hands then found I couldn't do that in the Blueprint.

I have to make a separate model of the working clock and add two of them to a model of the casing, a bit fiddly but should only need to be done once.
briyeo
Driver

Postby briyeo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:24 am

Just for the record I have made a clock before, but on a larger scale. :)

briyeo
Driver

Postby VictoryWorks » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:03 am

How about making the clock face and hands as a separate model, then adding 2 of those as child objects to the main clock object? That way it will appear as a single item to place in game but each face should still work as they'll just be instances of the clock blueprint.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby eyore » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:26 am

It is many years since I made a clock with 4 faces on it and couldn't remember how I did it.

So I had a look at the blueprint and it seems I used the technique suggested by Pete - a clock face model with 4 sets of hands as children.
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Postby sumitsingh » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:30 am

I want to ask that any object like a loco or wagon or scenery item can have how many child objects?

Like a signal post can have a name plate and a catenary pole also so that they can be numbered?
sumitsingh
Full Time Fireman

Next

Return to 3D Objects General