My bits and bobs

Re: My bits and bobs

Postby gptech » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:16 am

JamesLit wrote:these organisations need to be supported as much as possible and I want to contribute to that!

I can't fault you there James, but don't let my post rush you---anytime before Easter will do... ;)

I must get in to this modelling malarky myself, I'm no artist but I've an engineering background so reading engineering drawings is (or was) second nature.
gptech
General Shed Duties

Postby Nobkins » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:07 am

Take a look at my tutorial videos for blender. That is how I started modelling. Slow progress at the start but I am learning more all the time.

Forward facing tree

OHLE
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby AndiS » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:02 am

gptech wrote:I must get in to this modelling malarky myself, I'm no artist but I've an engineering background so reading engineering drawings is (or was) second nature.

Let me warn you: Touching Blender with an engineering background sucks you into the underworld :- unlimited possibilities of the scripting language, limited documentation, changing API and core software, wild dreams of auto-generating everything, wild despair when you wake up to the limitations of your time, skill and perseverance (in no particular order).
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby gptech » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Hi Andy...the part that worries me most is...
AndiS wrote:when you wake up
gptech
General Shed Duties

Postby briyeo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:32 am

I too have an engineering background, I wouldn't say it hasn't helped with making models in 3D Crafter, but I have yet to make anything that I actually have a dimensioned drawing for. ;)
briyeo
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:27 am

Coming soon - ish - to a signal box near you...

Currently untextured but the base 3D model is done, text sizes etc sorted so I will be able to reproduce all the other signs from this one. I'm considering doing the screws in 3D - only a few extra polys so nothing to worry about, and this sign is - if I remember correctly - about 600-700 polys max, which for something that will only ever occur once, is pretty okay with me. It should prototypically have cast iron text anyway, so... :)

I'm not 100% on the accuracy of the model, but seeing as there were so many differences with these signs - even within companies - I thought this design would be passable.

I'm also making station signs for the route - you should know it. :D My favourite route so I thought I would spruce it up a little bit...
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby bescotbeast » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:39 am

Like the signal box sign James and the font isn't far off the LMS name board style either
bescotbeast
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby JamesLit » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:43 am

Thank you. Indeed, the idea is that it's based upon a couple of the many styles of station and signal box signs used by the Midland and then LMS, BR(M) etc. There are so many different types that I decided I'd just go with something realistic that I personally like.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:39 am

Been a little while since I posted in here... gosh!

So, everything I've posted about before is pretty much on hold for the foreseeable future to make way for some new opportunities I will be able to complete relatively shortly. I should have a rather nice steam loco release through an existing developer in Q1 of the new year, produced on their behalf from an existing model to allow them to get started on new stuff as well as release everything else they want to do. :)

I've been thinking for a good while of doing something basic to get the money coming in. I released the Road & Rail Sound Enhancement Pack a while ago which has sold well, and hopefully sales will pick up again after it receives its major update - hopefully before the new year. I hate writing scenarios - and that's quite a common trade these days anyway - and I'm not confident enough in the likes of wagon packs etc... no way I can possibly do a route, so, to me, locos are really the only option. I want it to be really worthwhile - it's great to get new locos in the sim, but with the amount of spare time I have and the amount of money I'm getting coming in - even with a good wage and full time employment - I can't afford to scrimp or to release for free, so that does of course mean being worthy of good sales..... so this will all take time. I will of course, as I've always intended, try to work with as many other talented individuals as possible, getting them their cut and spreading their creativity along with my work. And, as always intended also, get donations out to the people who are restoring, maintaining etc all the real things. Two more reasons for wanting good sales...
This may all be seen as selfishness on my part, and indeed I am a selfish person, always have been, but I'd like to think my heart is in the right place... :lol:

I note that over the past 2 and a half years or so since I started modelling, I have received infinite criticism from people who believe it is a ridiculous idea to start one project without finishing another, regardless of any justification... from those who think I dived in too deep (which I did) and could not possibly progress (which I did and continue to), from people who think I'm lazy and cut corners (despite my intention being total accuracy and comprehensiveness)... etc. Most of this has come from people who have never even tried it before, or tried developing anything for TS... I admit to being far from the most knowledgeable person about the creative process, by all means, but I'm not an idiot (contrary to popular belief :lol:)... so, most things I start WILL get finished, eventually. I don't like abandoning projects like these - when it comes to models, I start making one because I WANT to make it. I want the loco or unit or wagon etc in TS because I'd enjoy driving it and I'd like Joe Bloggs to be able to drive it too. So, really, providing it's not absolutely impossible for me ever to do it, you will slowly see progress continue with these dormant projects.

For now, it will be a long term tickover type project, and the one that should be released in Q1 next year. I'll be posting these in the members only area if there are no objections, as I would like to keep both private for a good while yet. I will return to Jenbach shortly as well.

Thanks for reading, more soon.....
JamesLit
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Fri May 15, 2015 2:43 pm

Well that Q1 estimate went right out of the window, didn't it? :D As did the "before the new year" hopes for the R&RSEP update. I didn't return to Jenbach either. :D

But stuff has happened. Thanks to Matt at SSS I have got hold of some great track sound samples to use for my R&RSEP update, I'm still working away at that one as and when I can be bothered to dive in to the ridiculous number of files I have to play with.

I've also put together my best nameplate yet, which was good fun. I've done a few other nameplates too.

I've also been working on a station canopy object for a friend's route. This is based on a model I found online for reuse. I've heavily remodelled a lot of the component parts and will slowly but surely redo pretty much the entire thing, scale it, and use this 1/4 piece to form a full canopy.

I've also been fortunate enough to happen upon a vast collection of Australian bits and pieces, in terms of photos, drawings, plans etc. I've been using these to slowly start putting together, in a basic way, several bits and pieces like this Peckett loco. Just bits and pieces I'm having fun with. Hopefully it'll go somewhere.
JamesLit
Driver

PreviousNext

Return to 3DS Max