Weird issues with nameplates

Re: Weird issues with nameplates

Postby JamesLit » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Paul, I'll give that a go. :)
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Well this is interesting...

The very light bits that's moving around in these pics, the end that's moving is sticking to the end of my mouse pointer.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby DPSimulation » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:06 pm

As strange as it seems, that looks more like exploding geometry when DRM kicks in but it shouldn't be. Which model are you trying to attach to? Or is this happening when even just exporting the model itself, apologies if you already stated this, but I couldn't see it exactly.

If not, I think we are going to have to work right back from the beginning, starting with a screenshot of the plate in Max if possible? Then work onwards through the export and blueprint process.
DPSimulation
Passed Fireman

Postby deltic009 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:10 pm

If you can't see the plate at all do you have the normals for the object set up properly? I am by no means very good with Blender which I use, but I know that this is something (one of many) that frustrated me in my efforts to make 3D nameplates with/without 3D text.
deltic009
Full Time Fireman

Postby AndiS » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:19 pm

If you run out of clever suggestions, you could start trying the stupid IT approach. That would be to delete all the characters but one (in a copy) and re-export. If it still plays up, reduce it to the base board. If that still is cursed, start afresh with a plain board, then a single letter, adding until you get the problem again.

Pretty cumbersome, but it makes no assumptions and once you found the border between working and not working, you can throw all your thinking there.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby eyore » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:38 pm

James,

If you want to send me the max file, I'll be happy to have a look and see if I get the same issues?
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:44 pm

Hi chaps,

I'll be back to work on this this afternoon so will give the above a try, and if all else fails then I will take you up on your kind offer Phil.

Many thanks for your continued help! :D
JamesLit
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:05 pm

Okay, so the nameplate is made up of two objects. This is so that I have to spend less time on UV mapping and can use smaller textures. I have done the same thing with the successfully working headboards that I have made previously - and other nameplates in the past - so that shouldn't be an issue.

This is the whole model.

This is the text on its own.

This is the plate on its own.

The way I built the plate is pretty simple:

1. Created a rectangle spline and correctly sized it as wanted, to make up the black part of the nameplate which the text actually goes onto.
2. Cloned said rectangle twice. The first one I kept the same, and the second one I increased the dimensions of slightly. These rectangles I then made into editable splines and attached to each other, to make up the gold outside part of the plate.
3. Extruded the first rectangle to create the black part of the plate.
4. Extruded the second spline to create the gold part of the plate.
5. Turned each one into an editable poly.
6. Created a new text spline, sized it correctly, set the font and typed the name in.
7. Extruded and positioned the spline correctly, ensuring the rear of it was not capped.
8. UV mapped both and saved their UV templates.
9. Made textures using the UV templates and applied them in the normal way. Set the textures both in the UV map and in new materials as I always do.
10. Exported to IGS format.
11. Created a new scenery blueprint using the quick function in BE2, then set the name and display category.
12. Exported into TS without issue.
13. Bosh... it's buggered!

What I shall now do is Andi's suggestion. I'll start by making a backup of the full thing (of course), then export the plate itself on its own and see what happens...
JamesLit
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:25 pm

So, the model without text has made it in game fine and I'm able to place it with no visual glitches like previously experienced. However, it's completely invisible. I can select it and move it about just fine, but nothing actually appears. This is not the same as the previous experience where I could place it successfully without visual glitches, because that time it would crash when I selected it after placing. Time to experiment some more.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:15 pm

Okay, so I've set the nameplate up in the Kuju/RailSimulator folder instead of the RSC/ThompsonB1Pack01 folder (the folder for the addon it was intended for) and it works just fine (picture to follow). The only thing now is that for some reason, when I put the text so that the very back of the text touches the front of the plate, it gets moved backwards on export to the wrong place behind the nameplate, so it appears to be blank - the same issues I had with text on the headboards in my OP. I'm going to get the Geo open and see if the positioning has decided to change itself, or it is somehow still "in the same place" even though it isn't. If it is indeed changed, I'll just change it back to the values set in Max.
JamesLit
Driver

PreviousNext

Return to 3DS Max