Weird issues with nameplates

Re: Weird issues with nameplates

Postby DPSimulation » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:24 pm

Ah, so it could have possibly been DRM interfering then? Due to an unrecognised item in their folder?

I don't actually do it your way though. I create the model and export from source to my own folder structure. I then put copies of the .bin files for the model(s) in the folder structure of the model it is being attached to, in the case of the screenshot I posted, a reskinned Class 37.

Not sure whether it has any bearing or not.
DPSimulation
Passed Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:50 pm

I think that's probably it Darren. I may well do that. I like to keep things simple - the way you do it reminds me of the rather clever way AP make their sound packs work from separate folders without having to be enabled in any flyouts - but just getting things to work, I prefer to do the basics first. I will definitely do as you do in future, after establishing that the model etc is happy.

I've checked the Geo, and the text is definitely in the correct position when exported in terms of that, but just doesn't display in the right place. Specifically, it displays behind the nameplate, similarly to how the text on the headboard was inside the headboard instead of on it! I'm still just as confused about that one. I can sort it by moving the text off the front of the plate, the same thing I did with the headboard, but I'd prefer for it to be in the right place. Anyone any suggestions to what should hopefully be the final step in getting this rubbish sorted? Again, many thanks for your continued help, guys. :)
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby deltic009 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:00 pm

DPSimulation wrote:Ah, so it could have possibly been DRM interfering then? Due to an unrecognised item in their folder?

I don't actually do it your way though. I create the model and export from source to my own folder structure. I then put copies of the .bin files for the model(s) in the folder structure of the model it is being attached to, in the case of the screenshot I posted, a reskinned Class 37.

Not sure whether it has any bearing or not.

This is also the way I do it, it means you don't have to worry about provider ticking (particularly for Quick Drives) and then it means you have a set workflow. Horses for courses but I have found this as best practice for avoiding too much dramas. One day maybe I will finish my Class 90 3D nameplate project which has gone on the back burner like so many other things. I'd love to have more time but sadly this into my only hobby and of course there's the wife and kids to think about too (luckily my eldest loves TS, he's doing a Quick drive with my XC Web Turbostars right now).
deltic009
Full Time Fireman

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:00 pm

DPSimulation wrote:Ah, so it could have possibly been DRM interfering then? Due to an unrecognised item in their folder?

Interesting if this is the case. I was aware that DRM tends to kick in if you move files out of their product folder, but it's a pain if it also takes effect when you stick new files/geometry into some product folders too.

The nameplates look great by the way. :D It would be really nice to see some named B1s.

Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:11 pm

Thank you Chris. :D This particular one is completely fictional, as I may have mentioned (genuinely don't remember...!), this is for fictionally preserved (6)1091 in our TS2014 multiplayer world, named after an LNER director as many other B1s were. Might do some others if people fancy but my time is a bit limited, and I can't do the textures as well as I'd like to, so they're almost (but not quite) block colours. I've added a bit of detail but it's hard to notice. I so envy the ability of the likes of Jordi to create such amazing and lifelike textures... to do that even on a nameplate would be a dream come true for me! :P
JamesLit
Driver

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:31 pm

Yes, Jordi's artwork is inspirational, and I'd love to produce textures like that. I'm probably a bit too impatient to go to that level of artistic detail though. If you wanted a bit of tonal work on your nameplates to make them less block colour, you could try splodging some oil coloured dots around the texture (as their own layer), then smudge the splodges around and effectively rub them in, thinking about how you would polish a real nameplate when rubbing along the texture to give some directional and authentic brasso residue.

Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:43 pm

Thanks for your suggestions Chris, I am going to completely redo the UV mapping and textures from scratch baring your excellent suggestion in mind.

This is only getting weirder...

It seems the initial thoughts I had with the headboard I posted (though I didn't post said thoughts!) were correct: when positioned less than a certain X axis value, the text will "lock" to the same position visually. I.e. at 0.32m it displays properly, but at 0.28m is displays not only in the wrong position but also in the same position as 0.26m, 0.16m, 0.08m, etc...

Some pics illustrating the problems:
The nameplate with the X value set to 0.32m:

The nameplate with the X value set to 0.31m:

As you can see, that is NOT 0.01m of change there, it's gone all the way to the other side of the nameplate (the second picture is taken from the back, as you can see). It looks exactly the same with the X axis set to anything under 0.31m, though I haven't tried negative values - although to be fair that's a bit silly considering that that'd be even further in the wrong direction!
JamesLit
Driver

Postby Pauls » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:11 pm

James - tell us how you are naming the objects - also is one a parent and one a child or are they separate objects ?

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi Paul,

I've left them both alone in that department so they are separate objects. I have named them as I normally do for making nameplates and headboards which, thus far, has been working fine: the plate itself is "1_0512_plate" and the text is "1_0512_text" (both without quotation marks of course).

I've tried using other, standard names, like "house" and such, but that makes no difference. It seems to accept "plate" and "text" just fine. I have seen "text" used by others before.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby DPSimulation » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:55 pm

The naming conventions there are fine. Although I am intrigued as to why '512'? :D
DPSimulation
Passed Fireman

PreviousNext

Return to 3DS Max