Weird issues with nameplates

Weird issues with nameplates

Postby JamesLit » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi all,

I've been having some weird issues making nameplates recently. In fact, they've been going on for months, putting a stop to a lot of my work and frustrating the heck out of me.

I've successfully made headboards using the same methods, so why this doesn't work for nameplates I don't know.

My workflow is thus:
Create and edit shapes. This includes using Max' text function, which I think extrude, tell not to cap the back, then make into a poly like everything else. The plate itself is one object, and the text another.
I then unwrap and apply textures.
I export to IGS.
Then I fire up BE2 and use the handy "create scenery blueprint" on the IGS to speed things up, set a category and name for it so it'll display in the menu and export it.
Finally, I go into TS to preview it.

It's then that the problems hit. For some reason or another, whilst I've got headboards in just fine, like this one:

When I try making a nameplate, this happens:
when I try and look at it.

This only ever happens when I try making a nameplate.

I've noticed something else too: though I successfully managed the headboards, it wasn't without issue. In fact, if I had the 3D text places directly onto the board as it should be, it didn't display there when exported: it actually hid inside the board! I had to move it just a little forwards so it wasn't touching the headboard in order for it to stop being hidden inside it when exporting.

When I export a nameplate without the actual text, it works fine, it's always the text that jeffs it up - but I can make headboards just fine exactly the same way...

Any suggestions? Thanks.
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Re: Weird issues with nameplates

Postby Pauls » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:13 pm

my first guess would be a pivot point position, pivot world alignment and 0,0,0 origin problem ? Second guess scaling - also in 3D Studio Max I would be doing a Reset Transform and also adding a X-Form modifier - usually these actions nail most graphics problems without me understanding why.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:14 am

Hi Paul,

I knew I'd forgotten something...! I've done all three of those endless numbers of times with seemingly no effect. I'll have to give it another go, though.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby eyore » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:02 am

James

Assuming you have changed your spline text to editable poly before export, I don't know the answer to your problem, but I would suggest that the use of 3D text is overkill for a nameplate.

Why not try to use your 3D model to create a normal map (loads of youtube videos on how to do it) then you will dramatically reduce your poly count and avoid the problem you seem to have?

Another quick trick is to write your text in photoshop, use the emboss function then the nvidia normal map filter to create a cheap and cheerful normal map?
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Postby DPSimulation » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:41 am

Not that it helps the issue at hand, but I have created dozens of 3D nameplates with the use of 3D text and not had a problem. I cannot really see how just the extra polys would do this.

DPSimulation
Passed Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:19 pm

Darren is correct, it's a fairly common practice - as he says, he does it, and the chaps at VP and various other devs do it - and I manage to do it with headboards just fine.

I'll investigate some more this PM and post results.

Thanks all for your suggestions thus far.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby DPSimulation » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:26 pm

Although I'd agree it is good practice not to have a scenario with too many locomotives carrying these plates. Having just the player train, or even three or four shouldn't cause much of an issue.
DPSimulation
Passed Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:55 pm

I don't think it's too bad to be honest. The nameplate I've just done with 3D text is made with the Gill Sans MT font as it's a steam loco name, and is 926 polys complete (including the plate itself as well as the text). That's nothing, really, when we have locos that are over 100,000 polys alone (without tenders!). :D I'm just going to try it out and see whether this one works...
JamesLit
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Okay, so it causes TS to crash with a dump (ex-SBHH) when selected. I can place it fine (not that I can actually SEE it when I place it - it's just invisible. There's no massively glitchy effects on the screen or anything, there's just no object or anything at all), but when I select it, that's when it crashes TS. It's done this several times. I've run TS with LogMate and it provides me with absolutely 0 useful info on it, it just tells me TS has dumped.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby Pauls » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:44 pm

Ok - try another technique.........

Make a box and convert it to Editable Poly. Make sure the box is physically separate to your name plate. Then attach the namplate to the box (Not the other way around) - then edit the combined box object and delete the box. Now centre the pivot, align to the world and move your new namplate object to 0,0,0.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Next

Return to 3DS Max