Asset exported but...

Re: Asset exported but...

Postby Nobkins » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:33 am

Well done all for getting this. Although I use Blender I have had a fair few "i've tried everything I can think of and it is still not working" moments.

Other than asking on the forums (which of course is a great idea) my other top tip is to leave it, work on something else or do something else for a day. Mull it over and come back to it.

Often you get it working quickly on a 2nd attempt after a brief stint away from the issue :D

Jim
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby Dave Fennessy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:07 am

I often find that talking to myself through a process helps immensely, sadly in a small house with nowhere to hide this is not viewed as a romantic eccentricity. In fact I'm told to shut up as someone is trying to watch a programme about baking.

Just trifling now with creating Lofts and coming to terms with the fact that the DevDocs Wiki is out of date when using the newer Blueprint creator. It's telling me I should be pasting a copy of an .IGS into a cross Section ID. OK, where's that gone then? :o I think the main issue for a fledgling like myself is that so many tutorials I have read seem to leave one or more really important things out, not on purpose obviously. Videos on YouTube skim over the minutiae and sometimes come to a dead end just as things start getting important. The most helpful looking ones are always naturally in a foreign language. Scouring the UKTS forums for exact information that isn't later contradicted is a minefield. Maybe a site like this one would be the ideal place to have absolute bang up to date tutorials all in one place. I'm certainly capable of writing them for the things I have already understood like sign reskins etc. You yourself Jim certainly have a way with explaining how to do something. I do realise how long it takes to create a near perfect tutorial that can cater for all levels of ability and understanding, my friend is a school teacher and I teach my 11 year old son at home. I know all about leaving important things out!

I guess no one is forcing us to go down this road of putting things into a computer program, it's clear to me now that this hobby/interest has a very narrow choke-point where keen creative people simply give up due to the complexities and the variables it throws up. I guess some of us are just up for a challenge :geek:
Quietly beavering away on two routes
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Postby VictoryWorks » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:07 pm

I always said that the main skill I brought to content creation (from the very first thing I made back in the RS days) was stubborn, pig-headedness.
Modelling, texturing, scripting are all skills you can learn - and I improve on a daily basis in all of them - but you need that "I will NOT be beaten by this" mentality to make it through those dark times when things just don't work the way you need them to.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby acorncomputer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:23 pm

VictoryWorks wrote:I always said that the main skill I brought to content creation (from the very first thing I made back in the RS days) was stubborn, pig-headedness.
Modelling, texturing, scripting are all skills you can learn - and I improve on a daily basis in all of them - but you need that "I will NOT be beaten by this" mentality to make it through those dark times when things just don't work the way you need them to.

Very true. It is amazing that we have not all gone mad by now :lol:

-
Geoff Potter - Doing Something
acorncomputer
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby VictoryWorks » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:42 pm

acorncomputer wrote:Very true. It is amazing that we have not all gone mad by now :lol:

I'm not ruling that out! :D
VictoryWorks
Driver

Previous

Return to 3DS Max