Asset exported but...

Asset exported but...

Postby Dave Fennessy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:57 am

When I joined this site I was full of beans, at an early level of asset creating but I was making headway. The magic moment happened, something I had made appeared in the game editor. It was a brilliant feeling. All the tutorials, YouTube videos and the official Railworks dev docs that look as though a member of the Gestapo had written it.... I had done it, my 7' x 20' weathered old wooden fence panel was in Train Simulator. And then I added a stock house and exited stage left, looking sheepish...

When I post a query in a forum it means I've run out of ideas and inspiration. I'm clearly overlooking something which a seasoned 3ds Max user might be able to correct. It was 7' x 20' when it left Max.
Last edited by Dave Fennessy on Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quietly beavering away on two routes
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Re: Asset exported but...

Postby DPSimulation » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:44 am

I cannot see the image in question, but presume you are describing a scaling issue? At the bottom, next to the co-ordinates, what does your grid setting say?
DPSimulation
Passed Fireman

Postby Dave Fennessy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:56 pm

Edited the missing photo from the gallery, I used the filename instead of the file number :)
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Postby DPSimulation » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Certainly a scaling issue then! Although I use Max regularly, I'm still a relative novice, however, I believe it is the system unit scale that determines this.

Go to the Customize option at the top and select Units Setup followed by System Unit Setup. For reference, my scale is 1 Unit = 1.0 Inches.
DPSimulation
Passed Fireman

Postby Dave Fennessy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:50 pm

I can verify that my unit settings are the same as yours. I've tried a few more shapes and sizes from MAX around the 1 metre size and they are still coming out monster. Naturally I've been searching the internet for people who had the same problem but I can't seem to find any.
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Postby Pauls » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the wonderful world of RW asset building - expect to lose your sanity at some point :) ......

I could be wrong, but ............

I think you should have your Units Setup to Metric/Metres - If your Units Setup in Max is Inches I think if you did a fence panel 7ft (84" ) high in Max for example you would end up with a panel 84m high ( over 275ft ) in RW - so I believe you need to change your units - Once you have done this in Max check the dimensions in Max before exporting.

1m = 39.37 inches = 3.28084 ft

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Paul
Last edited by Pauls on Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pauls
Driver

Postby Dave Fennessy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:14 pm

For my next trick I shall create a 1 metre box from scratch making sure that all units options are set to metric. I'll even throw in some livestock just in case that's a dolls house.

Frankly I'm running out of hair to tear out :)

Just to rule it out, the applied texture or how it is applied in what format - would that have anything to do with rescaling as a finished result? I hope that made sense. I'm merely following the Railworks Dev Docs word for word. Trouble with Max is there are so many menus, sub menus and check-boxes that only one tiny thing has to be out. Thanks for your input so far friends but we still have an issue.
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Postby eyore » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:43 pm

Just to check you have max set up right, go to Customise on the Toolbar then Units Setup.

In the pop up box select the Generic radio button then click the large Button marked System Unit Setup.

In the next pop up box select Meters in the drop down menu.

Sorry, if you've already done all that, but it's the only thing I could think of that could be wrong.
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Postby Dave Fennessy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:03 pm

Trying that now Eyore (and may I take this opportunity to congratulate you on your StothertPitt dock crane - an excellent model). Do you know what the other settings refer to below? Mine are set to:

Origin slider 16777215.0
Distance from origin: 1.0
Resulting accuracy: 0.0000001192
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Postby Dave Fennessy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:18 pm

We have success! I am really chuffed and relieved, thank you everybody for your replies as you were all on the right track. Clicking the generic button first did the trick. Now to get down to some serious asset creations :P
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Next

Return to 3DS Max