Unwrapping?

Unwrapping?

Postby James37518 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:29 pm

Hi,

I have tried 3DSMax for first time because I want to use a unwrapping tool for it.
I have made a model in 3DCrafter then export to 3DSMax for unwrapping however the unwrapping seems to be too difficult so I wondering if anyone like to help me with it?

Screenshot are below:

Regards,

James
James37518
Engine Cleaner

Re: Unwrapping?

Postby AndiS » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:53 pm

I have no idea about Max, I use Blender. But while you wait for someone who can answer your question, let me give you these stand-ins:

1) Don't worry if you find this complicated, it simply is.

2) You need to split the task into parts. E.g., you select one cylinder and then try to get Max to unwrap it in a sensible way. Next you select a cube or brick and unwrap that - most likely using another option or menu item in Max (e.g., cylinder projection vs. cube projection, whatever the terms be in your case).

3) You will have to rearrange all the partial unwraps. So unwrap one bit, move the UV map to the side, then do the next one.

4) Many people use a mirror modifier so they only need to do one halve of a complex, symmetric model. Alternatively, you can make the second cylinder a clone (i.e., a linked copy) of the first. Then you only need to handle the first, the second will use the same UV map.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Re: Unwrapping?

Postby Pauls » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:13 pm

Simple unwrap in Max..........

Make a simple box - convert to editable polygon type - right click the box > Convert To > Editable Polygon
Modify Tab > Modifier List
Add a Poly Select modifier and select all polygons
Add a UVW Unwrap Modifier - note you are using Map Channel 1 for this object
Click the Edit Button - the UVW editor will open
Do Mapping > Normal Mapping > select Box Mapping from the drop down menu - click OK
You have now unwrapped the box
Under selection modes of the UVW editor you will see that you can select UVW vertices , edges or polygons.
At the top of the editor you can see the controls for rotating, moving or resizing vertices, edges or polygons
Under selection modes select edge - click on any edge and look around the other edges and you will see another edge turn blue - this is an edge that can be joined - if you did Tools > stitch selected the edges would join.

Have a play with the UVW editor and learn what you can and can't do - but don't be tempted to start with your model - too complex for now - the above info is just a simple start - learn this then start asking more questions regarding more complex use of UVW Unwrap and the UVW editor - there are many ways of doing UVW Unwrap.

BTW I hear Blender is better at doing UVW Unwraps.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Return to 3DS Max