Just a little something I thought deserved its own thread.....

Re: Just a little something I thought deserved its own thread.....

Postby JamesLit » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:01 am

Judging by the amount of extra/wasted/excess polys I'm getting, which will be cleaned up during poly optimisation at the end, I have a lot of room to play with to make this loco beautiful - so I'm taking advantage of that as much as possible. :)
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby Pauls » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:49 am

That really is an incredible model James - amazing detail !

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:22 pm

Pauls wrote:That really is an incredible model James - amazing detail !

Cheers
Paul

It really is a very pleasing feeling, makes me very proud indeed, to have such a huge amount of positive comments. :) I imagine most if not all on this forum won't know, but I started modelling "properly" in 2012, with some pretty big aspirations - sadly my own ever increasing demands for quality/realism/accuracy meant I was often completely restarting projects or halting work until I could do a reference/research trip and get at the real thing with help from railways, groups etc, which I often did. Lots of projects ended up being put on hold due to a lack of interest or a lack of money to go and get at the real thing, or in a few cases, me not being sure how to achieve complicated but key shapes. For this I was mocked ruthlessly and extensively for years, including the production of about 60 odd memes - yes, memes - about me and my work, slating me/it. Obviously, all this really hampered my confidence. For me to finally have gotten to a stage where I know I can release a loco, a big one at that, and potentially have it as part of a well known range at the forefront of steam loco production for the sim... is something very special to me indeed. :)
JamesLit
Driver

Postby VictoryWorks » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:21 pm

That's very sad to hear James, nobody needs that kind of abuse.
But I'm really glad that you've stuck with it and the effort is certainly showing with this model.

I've always said that 90% of TS content creation is stubborn pigheadedness. The remaining 10% being a varying mix of modelling skills and the ability to work around problems, depending on who's doing it! :D
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:13 pm

VictoryWorks wrote:That's very sad to hear James, nobody needs that kind of abuse.
But I'm really glad that you've stuck with it and the effort is certainly showing with this model.

I've always said that 90% of TS content creation is stubborn pigheadedness. The remaining 10% being a varying mix of modelling skills and the ability to work around problems, depending on who's doing it! :D

Thank you Pete. It really does mean a lot, especially coming from the likes of you! :)
JamesLit
Driver

Postby Pauls » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:01 am

JamesLit wrote:
Pauls wrote:That really is an incredible model James - amazing detail !

Cheers
Paul

It really is a very pleasing feeling, makes me very proud indeed, to have such a huge amount of positive comments. :) I imagine most if not all on this forum won't know, but I started modelling "properly" in 2012, with some pretty big aspirations - sadly my own ever increasing demands for quality/realism/accuracy meant I was often completely restarting projects or halting work until I could do a reference/research trip and get at the real thing with help from railways, groups etc, which I often did. Lots of projects ended up being put on hold due to a lack of interest or a lack of money to go and get at the real thing, or in a few cases, me not being sure how to achieve complicated but key shapes. For this I was mocked ruthlessly and extensively for years, including the production of about 60 odd memes - yes, memes - about me and my work, slating me/it. Obviously, all this really hampered my confidence. For me to finally have gotten to a stage where I know I can release a loco, a big one at that, and potentially have it as part of a well known range at the forefront of steam loco production for the sim... is something very special to me indeed. :)

Hi James,

It's best to be your own worst critic - it drives you on to better things and anything else negative that is said by others then doesn't matter - you probably already beat them to it !! :)

Hope that helps !

You should indeed be very proud of your model.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby SteamSoundsSupreme » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:24 pm

Stunning looking model James. Well done! :)
SteamSoundsSupreme
Passed Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:34 pm

Thank you all. Again I am very grateful. :D

I've spent a couple of evenings teaching myself to animate valvegear and such which has been surprisingly good fun - I thought I was going to be tearing my hair out for hours on end, but no - while there are different processes involved in achieving different motions and so on, it's all actually pretty logical, so that's good. I may well still remake all the motion yet though.....
JamesLit
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:35 am

Getting there, though I've noticed some smoothing issues and such which will need rectifying.

Tomorrow calls for a start on the tender. :)
JamesLit
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:21 pm

Tender moments had tonight...... :P

JamesLit
Driver

PreviousNext

Return to 3DS Max