Occasional Export Error

Occasional Export Error

Postby Dave Fennessy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:11 pm

Although trying to remain faithful with 3DS Max as the source of a model, sometimes I do fall back on using SketchUp when doing something slightly finicky that would take me ten times as long in Max. Just lately I've been getting this error report when exporting to an .IGS:

Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. I do the usual checks like make sure all faces are facing forward so it leaves SketchUp as good as it can. Thought someone here might have had the same issue?
Attachments
crop pic[40].jpg
Quietly beavering away on two routes
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Re: Occasional Export Error

Postby VictoryWorks » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:45 am

I've no experience with SketchUp however I've had a similar problem with Blender when you have an object and you accidentally delete all the verts from the object and leave the empty object itself. I'm not sure if that's even possible in SketchUp or how you would check (in Blender I tend to select every item individually and hide them and then once they're all gone then whatever is left is probably my bugbear) but it might help.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby Dave Fennessy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:34 am

That's an interesting angle to explore. Thanks for the response.
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Postby Pauls » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi Dave,

I export from Google Sketchup 7 to 3D Studio max 7 with Vivaty Studio since it gives consistently good results with scale and also preserves the texturing unlike some techniques.

Sketchup7 > kmz > Vivaty > WRL > 3D Studio Max > IGS > Blueprint Editor > Railworks

When exporting from Sketchup to 3D studio Max I generally do a rather long winded modification of every object where I do the following..........

Convert each object into editable poly
Change object names to correct Railworks LOD naming.
Weld all the vertices with a very low threshold of something like 0.001m - smaller if required.
Apply the Smoothing Groups as required.
Rest Xform
Reset TransForm
Reset Scale
Align the Pivot to the World system
Do a quick scale check of an object to make sure that all is Ok scale wise.

Very time consuming for a complex model ! - I'm thinking of automating some of it.

I then move on and convert all of the materials imported from Sketchup to Kuju/Railworks before export.

I've probably missed something out in the above explanation so please feel free to ask if it doesn't work OK for you.

Which version of Max are you using ?

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:55 pm

Dave, as a regular 3DS Max user (I have not used any other tool for years), I would definitely recommend doing as Paul suggests. That process, whole or in part, has fixed almost all of the issues I have had with 3DS Max export.
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby Dave Fennessy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks for the responses. Like I said I tend to fall back on SketchUp when I'm feeling very lazy so it's not a deal breaker, and to be honest I really should be just using 3DS Max all the time to gain as much experience as possible. There is no problem creating simple shapes and porting them over, it's only when I've delved about making plenty of alterations, in particular curved scenes, that I experience problems at the other end. It just so happens that I feel more comfortable creating more complex curved structures in SketchUp. My bad.

Paul, I use 3DS Max 2015 after I found out you can get a free version as a student. I did inherit a 2010 version but that started cutting up on screen leaving lumps of static graphics all over the place. Never did solve that problem either. I will follow your advice on one particular model that I'd love to port correctly.

James, I'm over at RSUG as well so no doubt I'll end up asking questions over there too :lol:
Dave Fennessy
Full Time Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:56 pm

Not a problem Dave, we have other 3DS Max users in RSUG as well and plenty of users of other software including Blender and SketchUp, we'll be only too happy to give tips and advice where possible!
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Return to 3DS Max