Stephensons valve gear: Bones, IK solvers, etcetera.

Stephensons valve gear: Bones, IK solvers, etcetera.

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Sun May 22, 2016 3:52 pm

Hello,

As part of my ongoing crusade to finally get something actually fit for release, I have been working on animations. I have watched countless tutorials on mechanical rigging and feel as though I grasp the basics of it. Mike Adams' tutorial on rigging a Walschaerts / Heusinger valve gear has also been of great use to me. However, it seems that Stephensons valve gear isn't exactly beginner friendly -- or I'm just a bit slow on the uptake.

It would seem that there's different flavours of Stephensons valve gear in use, but I've included a drawing of my favourite flavour. For now, the valve stems are left out of the equation, I plan on keyframing them later as their movement is rather complicated. We may leave the reach rod (Handelstang) and the counterweight shaft W out of the equation, as they remain fixed in position for a given cut-off.

Now let's look at the geometry.

We have:
  • Forward and Backwards eccentrics, easiest to think of as connecting rods between E_F and L_F; and E_B and L_B.
  • The link block, which is suspended from a fixed point by hanger |QP|. Both Q and P are hinged supports. Therefore, point Q is allowed to describe a circle with radius |PQ| and center P.

I have tried multiple setups of bones, IK chains, and rotation constraints, but the issue I am really bumping into is (I believe) that the link not only rotates, but moves as well. At this point, I've had all setups that I would think work, and am just pointlessly dabbling about. Any hints or tips here? I'd be happy to show some of the none-functional rigs if that would help.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Re: Stephensons valve gear: Bones, IK solvers, etcetera.

Postby JamesLit » Sun May 22, 2016 4:38 pm

Stupid question but have you tried disabling the movement axes for the objects concerned?

Hierarchy tab -> Link Info.
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Sun May 22, 2016 5:01 pm

There are no stupid questions just stupid answers. So let me give you one:

Tried disabling it on the link and related bones. It would seem that the IK solver overrides position anyway, so I didn't really see any differences on a couple of quick rigs. The default seems to be off for move, rotate and scale so I leave 'em at that. Basic bone structure:

Suspension hanger (P to Q)
.... -- Upper half of link (Q to L_F)
........-- Fwd Eccentric.
....-- Lower half of link (Q to L_B)
........-- Bwd Eccentric.

And then two IK solvers, going from P to E_F and P to E_B. I've also tried a couple of variations on this theme. Another thing I've been doing is applying a orientation constraint linking the lower link bone to the upper, but the IK solver seems to override this as well.

Edit: formatting.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Sun May 22, 2016 5:15 pm

I must admit, I'm really not a fan of Stephenson's gear because I think it's one of the harder ones to visualize in motion.

I think the first thing to point out is the angle of two eccentrics, which as modelled are currently 180 degrees out of phase with one another ie. if you draw a link between the centre points of the two eccentrics, the centre point of the line is the axle. If you draw the diameters of the two eccentrics going through the axle centre, you can see that they are about 160 degrees out of phase, which is going to be important for the rest of the animation.

This therefore leads onto the second point - the expansion link should translate as well as rotate, in the horizontal plane only. This means that even in neutral gear, the valve stem will continue to oscillate a small amount (and so the minimum possible cutoff is often something like 2-5%). It should only significantly translate in the vertical plane when the reversing lever is rotating the reversing arm to lower or lift the entire expansion link by the centre of rotation.

If the reverser arm is static and the expansion link is effectively swinging backwards and forwards on the bottom of the lifting link between the reverser arm and the expansion link, lever P-Q cannot be fixed at P, which looks like it is used to lever the counterweight W. Therefore, for any reverser setting:

Reverser lever and arm are static.
Expansion link rotates due to the eccentrics AND swings back and forth on the end of the lifting link.
Link PQ between the expansion link and counterweight is pushed and pulled by the lateral movement of the expansion link at the expansion link's centre of rotation, and so counterweight W is partially levered down when the expansion link moves forwards towards the cylinder, and is lifted back up a little when the expansion link moves back towards the eccentrics. That's my interpretation and understanding of the system anyway. :D

Kind regards,
Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Sun May 22, 2016 5:35 pm

cjbarnes5294 wrote:I must admit, I'm really not a fan of Stephenson's gear because I think it's one of the harder ones to visualize in motion.

I like to think of it as a problem of positioning the link such that:
  • It's pivot - to speak in 3ds terms - is on a circle PQ;
  • It's rotation is such that the eccentrics will fit.

I feel matrices coming up.

I think the first thing to point out is the angle of two eccentrics, which as modelled are currently 180 degrees out of phase with one another ie. if you draw a link between the centre points of the two eccentrics, the centre point of the line is the axle. If you draw the diameters of the two eccentrics going through the axle centre, you can see that they are about 160 degrees out of phase, which is going to be important for the rest of the animation.

That's something I've noticed in drawings. My books have suggested in ye olde style Dutch that this has got more to do with admission leading than the actual geometry, so I think I can get away with animating them at 90 degrees phase offset. If that makes sense.

This therefore leads onto the second point - the expansion link should translate as well as rotate, in the horizontal plane only. This means that even in neutral gear, the valve stem will continue to oscillate a small amount (and so the minimum possible cutoff is often something like 2-5%). It should only significantly translate in the vertical plane when the reversing lever is rotating the reversing arm to lower or lift the entire expansion link by the centre of rotation.

If the reverser arm is static and the expansion link is effectively swinging backwards and forwards on the bottom of the lifting link between the reverser arm and the expansion link, lever P-Q cannot be fixed at P, which looks like it is used to lever the counterweight W. Therefore, for any reverser setting:

Reverser lever and arm are static.
Expansion link rotates due to the eccentrics AND swings back and forth on the end of the lifting link.
Link PQ between the expansion link and counterweight is pushed and pulled by the lateral movement of the expansion link at the expansion link's centre of rotation, and so counterweight W is partially levered down when the expansion link moves forwards towards the cylinder, and is lifted back up a little when the expansion link moves back towards the eccentrics. That's my interpretation and understanding of the system anyway. :D

Kind regards,
Chris

I am pretty sure the link (point Q) describes an arc about point P. The weights are, as far as I can see from multiple drawings of the system, static for any cutoff -- else the reverser in the cab would be moving about! At this point I'll have to say that the drawing is a bit unclear, and the linkage between the reversing screw to the weights shaft is a bit obstructed by the link and link hanger |PQ|. Let's just say that I believe point P to be fixed.

Unrelated, but interesting point here about the minimum cut-off: what would that mean for the proper cut-off to select when coasting?
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Mon May 23, 2016 3:48 pm

Okay, just to confirm here, a single bone can have only one IK chain or constraint assigned to it? Meaning that if I have a bone somewhere, which has a constraint or IK chain applied to it, and I include it in another IK chain, the old controller will be kicked out.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:22 pm

Perhaps I've misunderstood the model, or the diagram, or both. I do think that the counterweight has to move a small fraction because if it didn't, the mechanism would surely seize solid - the expansion link is anchored by the reverser arm via the lifting link but needs to be able to move laterally, which wouldn't be possible without some movement in the counterweight mechanism as well because of course the levers cannot stretch. I've made a very simplified diagram to better show my understanding of the version of gear shown in the drawings.

So the reverser arm lifts/lowers the expansion link by the centre pivot and the connection to the valve stem slides up and down to alter the amplitude and timing of the valve when the expansion link is rocking with the motion of the eccentrics. Counterweight link is also connected to the expansion link at the same point as the lifting link and is effectively connected to an extension of the counterweight, which pivots at the anchor bracket. The connection of the lifting link to the expansion link describes the circumference of a circle, the counterweight link is thus pulled along this circular path and either lifts the counterweight or lowers it, whichever conserves the length of the counterweight link. That said, referring back to the original drawing, the angle between the two eccentrics is very wide, so there's not going to be that much lateral translation in the expansion link, so we're talking very, very small movements in the counterweight. You could say it is almost fixed, but I wanted to make the point that it technically isn't. :lol:

TrabantDeLuxe wrote:Unrelated, but interesting point here about the minimum cut-off: what would that mean for the proper cut-off to select when coasting?

I don't think it means very much to be honest. Short-travel slide-valve engines (like the ones I believe you are building) with properly maintained and calibrated Stephenson's valve gear would not be driven any cut-off much lower than 35% because it ends being more inefficient than to drive at a higher cut-off, as the steam doesn't have the time or port area to fill the cylinder up to the set cutoff adequately, especially at higher speeds. As for coasting, always full gear in the direction you are travelling with slide-valve engines, no matter what valve gear - part of the reason is to prevent the cylinders becoming air compressors which a) heats the cylinders up to unacceptable temperatures by continuously compressing gas (air) at a rapid rate, carbonising the oil and b) acts as a brake (see Niklaus Riggenbach and his counter-pressure brake). I believe it is also thought to lead to valve gear or slide valve damage if you coast at short cut-offs but I've never understood why that is.

As an aside, I have read about GWR pannier tanks romping along in mid-gear and still applying power to the train in preservation, which if true suggests to me that the motion is pretty sub-optimal and not working as designed, especially compared to the tight tolerances in Swindon, but there you go. :P

I wish I could offer you more help with the actual animation but it's way beyond my expertise sadly. If you're still stuck I really hope someone else who knows how to animate (unlike me) will be along shortly to lend a helping hand. I also hope the rest of the content in my post will be able to assist you designing the animation, but if there's something you're unsure about/need me to try and re-explain/disagree with, feel free to shout out and hopefully we'll be able to work it all out. :)

Kind regards,
Chris

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Mon May 23, 2016 11:40 pm

Let's start of with a big thank you for the help you're giving here.

cjbarnes5294 wrote:Perhaps I've misunderstood the model, or the diagram, or both. I do think that the counterweight has to move a small fraction because if it didn't, the mechanism would surely seize solid - the expansion link is anchored by the reverser arm via the lifting link but needs to be able to move laterally, which wouldn't be possible without some movement in the counterweight mechanism as well because of course the levers cannot stretch. I've made a very simplified diagram to better show my understanding of the version of gear shown in the drawings.

So the reverser arm lifts/lowers the expansion link by the centre pivot and the connection to the valve stem slides up and down to alter the amplitude and timing of the valve when the expansion link is rocking with the motion of the eccentrics. Counterweight link is also connected to the expansion link at the same point as the lifting link and is effectively connected to an extension of the counterweight, which pivots at the anchor bracket. The connection of the lifting link to the expansion link describes the circumference of a circle, the counterweight link is thus pulled along this circular path and either lifts the counterweight or lowers it, whichever conserves the length of the counterweight link. That said, referring back to the original drawing, the angle between the two eccentrics is very wide, so there's not going to be that much lateral translation in the expansion link, so we're talking very, very small movements in the counterweight. You could say it is almost fixed, but I wanted to make the point that it technically isn't. :lol:

Ah, I fear one of us misinterprets the drawings. To be fair, it isn't the most clearly drawn drawings, but then it's at least something. I've made a little sketch to illustrate how I interpret the system. The difference is in the lifting arrangement.

I've drawn it in forward cut-off, as to increase clarity. So what's happening, is --probably for boiler clearance-- the reach rod connects to a crank, which in turn rotates the counterweights shaft. The actual lifting link ( |PQ| in my previous drawings ) is on this weights shaft, and as such point P is fixed.

TrabantDeLuxe wrote:Unrelated, but interesting point here about the minimum cut-off: what would that mean for the proper cut-off to select when coasting?

I don't think it means very much to be honest. Short-travel slide-valve engines (like the ones I believe you are building) with properly maintained and calibrated Stephenson's valve gear would not be driven any cut-off much lower than 35% because it ends being more inefficient than to drive at a higher cut-off, as the steam doesn't have the time or port area to fill the cylinder up to the set cutoff adequately, especially at higher speeds. As for coasting, always full gear in the direction you are travelling with slide-valve engines, no matter what valve gear - part of the reason is to prevent the cylinders becoming air compressors which a) heats the cylinders up to unacceptable temperatures by continuously compressing gas (air) at a rapid rate, carbonising the oil and b) acts as a brake (see Niklaus Riggenbach and his counter-pressure brake). I believe it is also thought to lead to valve gear or slide valve damage if you coast at short cut-offs but I've never understood why that is.

Well, that's new to me! It would seem I've ruined quite a few locos in TS then :lol: . We are indeed talking slide valves here, this is all 19th century tech. I'll have to do more reading on the peculiarities of Stephensons regarding actual physics.

As an aside, I have read about GWR pannier tanks romping along in mid-gear and still applying power to the train in preservation, which if true suggests to me that the motion is pretty sub-optimal and not working as designed, especially compared to the tight tolerances in Swindon, but there you go. :P

I wish I could offer you more help with the actual animation but it's way beyond my expertise sadly. If you're still stuck I really hope someone else who knows how to animate (unlike me) will be along shortly to lend a helping hand. I also hope the rest of the content in my post will be able to assist you designing the animation, but if there's something you're unsure about/need me to try and re-explain/disagree with, feel free to shout out and hopefully we'll be able to work it all out. :)

Kind regards,
Chris

Responding to the aside, wouldn't that be caused by the absence of a true midgear position? I.e. even though the lever is centered, we've still got a bit of valve travel? Anyway, I'm sure stuff wil one day work out. Hopefully before I lose my mind that is.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Tue May 24, 2016 3:39 pm

TrabantDeLuxe wrote:Ah, I fear one of us misinterprets the drawings. To be fair, it isn't the most clearly drawn drawings, but then it's at least something. I've made a little sketch to illustrate how I interpret the system. The difference is in the lifting arrangement.

I've drawn it in forward cut-off, as to increase clarity. So what's happening, is --probably for boiler clearance-- the reach rod connects to a crank, which in turn rotates the counterweights shaft. The actual lifting link ( |PQ| in my previous drawings ) is on this weights shaft, and as such point P is fixed.

Ahhhhh, no I think I'm the one who has misinterpreted the drawings, many apologies! I should have payed closer attention to the top elevation, which I must admit I was struggling to understand, but your drawing makes it crystal clear to me now. In that case I agree with you that lever PQ does rotate around P so that Q forms an arc of radius PQ. So, you have the fun challenge of combining the small lateral movement contributed by the eccentrics with the circular motion of the pivot point Q. I dare say that you could get away with keeping the expansion link and PQ unlinked in the animation to make the animation easier, so that the expansion link only rotates and translates due to the eccentrics and the lever PQ rotates to follow it closely and give the impression that it's all combined?

Responding to the aside, wouldn't that be caused by the absence of a true midgear position? I.e. even though the lever is centered, we've still got a bit of valve travel?

Yes and no - yes because the valve stem is always being moved by even a small amount and will admit a small amount of steam into the cylinder (approximately 2-5% cutoff), but I can only think of 71000 Duke of Gloucester being capable of running efficiently at that low a cut-off, so in the GWR pannier tank example I think it's more likely due to wear in the motion pin joints and momentum in the various flying masses at road speed that is causing a mid-gear closer to 20% cutoff or so.

Anyway, I'm sure stuff wil one day work out. Hopefully before I lose my mind that is.

:lol:

I think you have a pretty sound knowledge of both 3D content creation for TS and real life mechanical engineering, so I'm confident that you will be able to sort it before you lose your mind. ;) Thank you for putting me right on the valve gear details as well, humble pie eaten. :)

Kind regards,
Chris

cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Tue May 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Minor victory dance time! For future reference, and maybe helping others out:

Basically, we have to bone structures. The first is in the same location as the lifting link |PQ|. Childed to this is the second, going over eccentrics and eccentric link. The root bone of this is linked to a point that is in turn linked to the axle center point, so we can rotate it.

• IK Chain from E_F to Q to P
  • IK Chain from L_F over L_B to E_B. The target is linked to the point, which is in turn linked to the axle center point.

Now the parent bone will not animate correctly to just link the lifting link to it, but a lookat constraint helps us out here. Hope this is clear.

Not quite right, but the best I can do for now. Given that the motion is sandwiched between 4 frame plates, I'll consider calling it quits here. If I can live with myself for doing so :lol:

Edit: I forgot things.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Next

Return to 3DS Max