RW materials question.

Re: RW materials question.

Postby JamesLit » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:22 am

Also, something that may make things easier is the use of DDS to export into the game rather than ACE, you can export directly as DDS from most image editing software (even if a free plugin is required, like in the case of Photoshop) and BlueprintEditor2 can export that as well, and of course, it's supported in Max.
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby Class1987 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:33 pm

AndiS wrote:First of all, I am a bit surprised about the use of .jpeg. You generally use something lossless like TGA. At any rate, you need to convert to ACE because that is what the game reads.

I would start with a single cube with some default UV mapping so you can be 100 % sure all faces point outside and all are textured. I don't say yours do not but with something like the default cube in Blender, you just know it.

You did not describe the export process. Do you get the .igs file, without errors in some log file?

Do you have scenery density and quality maxed out in the game. There are more reports from people who do not see scenery with some level of 5 or whatever when their sliders are not at max. That is a game feature actually, which might have got more bearing recently? Anyway, be sure to max out those sliders just for the testing.

Could it be something funny with the origin or scale? I guess not as you got shadows that seem to have matched the object, or else you did not mention a problem with them.

texdiff is a safe bet normally and so is trainbasicobjectdiffuse.fx.

My - incomplete - ABC of textures is:
trainbasicobjectdiffuse.fx by default.
texdiff for distant scenery.
tex for stuff that is illuminated, but you do not want to go to great length of modelling the effect of that light. Example: Windows at night.
There are all sorts of a-versions that offer transparency. You mostly need them when the shape or some hole or is irregular as nowadays, you generally model the contours of openings and outlines, the restrictions on poly count are not what they used to be 10 or 5 years ago when many complex structures were just 2D renditions with holes, using the alpha channel for the openings.

Just my 2p.

So TGA is the best to use ok I'll use that instead, I have been using BMP as well is that worth using too or not?
I'll take a look at the scenery density I didn't actually realise there was a slider for that I assumed it was all default to be honest with you. I will be using illuminated models for my stations my friend is doing them as she is a lot more experienced with high advanced modelling than me as she has done A levels at university.
So trainbasicobjectdiffuse.fx is what everyone uses for standard models then, ok I'll just stick to that then as the list is so large I wasn't sure which one was which.
Thanks for the advice I'll see if it works and get back to you. :)
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Postby Class1987 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:40 pm

JamesLit wrote:Also, something that may make things easier is the use of DDS to export into the game rather than ACE, you can export directly as DDS from most image editing software (even if a free plugin is required, like in the case of Photoshop) and BlueprintEditor2 can export that as well, and of course, it's supported in Max.

I've used DDS before is that also the most popular use for texturing now or is it everyone to their own?
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Postby AndiS » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:10 pm

DDS is certainly better. I always forget you can use it with RW nowadays. I'm stuck in the early days, mentally, when TGA was the one option.

('Better' might overstate it. You get good results with TGA. But DDS is more universal, modern and nearer to the end result. So it can only be better than alternatives. But more in terms of usability than in terms of image quality.)
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi,

Just a quick note: I've noted that the textures you've uploaded here have an ampersand '&' sign in the file name. TS doesn't really like that. Stay away from all punctuation excepting the underscore '_'. And as others have noted, just use .DDS files. TS will deal with the "8.8.8.8 ARGB unsigned" and "X.8.8.8 XRGB unsigned" encodings. I haven't tried many other encodings - but many will mess up the colours.

Oh, I see you've baked out AO, good job!
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby Class1987 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Hey guys thanks for the advice this is helpful to me and my friend. so DDS is the best format to use then, ok I'll just use that from now on I've also been advised to use TGA as well are both ok or just DDS?
TranbantDeLuxe did you ever get a chance to look at my bridge model that I have been having issues with? I did email you the file end of last year.

Cheers, Ian.
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:18 pm

I would just always use DDS, far easier to have a standardised system IMO.
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Previous

Return to 3DS Max