RW materials question.

Re: RW materials question.

Postby Pauls » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:31 am

Class1987 wrote:It was the whole model that didn't appear all I got was the shadow of my model. What I'll do on Monday when I get time is send you some screens of what I've been struggling with. :) I'll also give what you have advised me a try too.
Cheers.

I've seen the problem you've described several times - it's just a matter of nailing which of the issues mentioned is causing it.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Class1987 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:09 pm

Hi Paul I've done the reset x-form and scale and transform as suggested and nothing has worked :( I stand corrected of what I said previously there is no shadow appearing it's just the axis that appears in gameplay so I really don't know what the issue is with it. I have some screens of my problem.
If you need any other pics just let me know, Cheers, Ian.
Attachments
model.jpg
model
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Postby Pauls » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:28 pm

Hi Ian,

Can you show me the parent / child object relationship with the parent selected please.

Can you also check the dimensions of the object with the ruler - is your model set to metres ?

When viewing your model in RW try to move well back from your model - also try viewing it from an oblique angle - does the model show momentarily ?

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Class1987 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:03 pm

Hi Paul sorry been a very late reply been busy. You mention parent and child objects I've just been into the object properties and clicked each object and there are no children objects they are all parents I think it says Scene Root on each object. My unit setup is metres and inches yes I have a screen to my units if you want to check if there is something a miss. The ruler not sure where that is, and yes I do zoom back and there is nothing my model really should show instantly. Do I need to attach all objects for it to work or won't that make any difference?
Cheers, Ian.
Attachments
setup.jpg
Units setup
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:14 am

Allright, long shot here. Have any objects in the scene got the same name? On the subject of object names, why not attach all together anyway? If you could upload the .max and relevant textures somewhere, someone here (might be me :lol: ) could have a look and see what's going on.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby Pauls » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:55 pm

Set a parent object and make all other objects a child of it - make sure that all the names are different and obey the naming rules - sometimes this isn't required - sometimes it is - no idea why - make sure your objects are the correct scale - if they are the wrong scale and are gigantic you might be trying to view the object from inside it when in Railworks - in this case it might be invisible except from certain angles.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Class1987 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:06 pm

Ok I'll give that a try and see how it goes and I'll get back to you.

TranbantDeLuxe if you send me you email address through a pm I'll send you my file and textures see if you can take a look and see what the problem is.

Cheers, Ian.
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Postby Pauls » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:58 pm

See the camera angle bug thread for another technique for resolving your problems
Pauls
Driver

Postby Class1987 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi everyone I'm back with another question of RW materials issue. My friend and I are working on building stations for my route (Midlands Network) she has been creating some texture .jpeg that are on these images I've posted now the problem I'm having once again is which RW material do I use there is so much choice I never know which one is suitable for which type of texture, anybody have an answer for me on my question?
I have been exporting the model into Train Sim 2017 used the trainbasicobjectdiffuse.fx but all I get is a shadow and invisible model , so I changed to texdiff and that got rid off the shadow with just an invisible model. I've tried flipping the normal that didn't work either so I'm stumped.
Any advice?
p.s this model is a test model that we are doing.

Cheers, Ian.
Attachments
chairs&Stolls.jpg
T-Chairs&Stolls.jpg
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Postby AndiS » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:12 pm

First of all, I am a bit surprised about the use of .jpeg. You generally use something lossless like TGA. At any rate, you need to convert to ACE because that is what the game reads.

I would start with a single cube with some default UV mapping so you can be 100 % sure all faces point outside and all are textured. I don't say yours do not but with something like the default cube in Blender, you just know it.

You did not describe the export process. Do you get the .igs file, without errors in some log file?

Do you have scenery density and quality maxed out in the game. There are more reports from people who do not see scenery with some level of 5 or whatever when their sliders are not at max. That is a game feature actually, which might have got more bearing recently? Anyway, be sure to max out those sliders just for the testing.

Could it be something funny with the origin or scale? I guess not as you got shadows that seem to have matched the object, or else you did not mention a problem with them.

texdiff is a safe bet normally and so is trainbasicobjectdiffuse.fx.

My - incomplete - ABC of textures is:
trainbasicobjectdiffuse.fx by default.
texdiff for distant scenery.
tex for stuff that is illuminated, but you do not want to go to great length of modelling the effect of that light. Example: Windows at night.
There are all sorts of a-versions that offer transparency. You mostly need them when the shape or some hole or is irregular as nowadays, you generally model the contours of openings and outlines, the restrictions on poly count are not what they used to be 10 or 5 years ago when many complex structures were just 2D renditions with holes, using the alpha channel for the openings.

Just my 2p.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

PreviousNext

Return to 3DS Max