RW materials question.

RW materials question.

Postby Class1987 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:50 am

Hi everyone I'm new on here you may of seen me of uktrainsim in the past asking for help on certain bits and bobs for train sim 2016. I'm currently creating some content for my route I'm designing, now I can build models no problem but I seem to be having a lot of trouble at times getting my content into the game. I go into the blueprints do everything right and export it into the game but sometimes the models don't always appear, I'm guessing it's something to do with the RW materials in 3ds max some textures like basic colours creating in Photoshop use the basic train diffuse material I think it's called option and went into train sim 2016 perfectly but on another model I made I used a metal texture did the same again used the basic train diffuse texture mode, and went into gameplay and nothing shows up the entire model be ones invisible, any advice for this? Just need info on what material works for which texture really so I don't have this issue in the future.
Cheers, Ian.
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Re: RW materials question.

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:18 am

I'm very much a noob, and more experienced folk will step in I'm sure. Getting a basic diffuse texture to work shouldn't be that much of a hassle. Are the objects working in the previewer? My workflow, after modeling and unwrapping:

• Assign RWMaterial to object, setting TexDiff as the shader. Slot 1 contains the texture. You can use any image format, I prefer .png or .tga.
  • Export.
  • Convert the texture you've assigned to a .ace using RWAcetool. If you don't do this, the blueprint editor will spit out an error and refuse to export.
  • Presto. This should work.

So, if you've done all these steps, it's likely there is another cause for the object not showing in TS. I can think of two things, namely:

• The model is not 'centered' in 3ds max. If a model is 200 meters below in max, it's also going to be 200 meters below in TS. Check that the model is roughly around (0,0,0) in max.
  • Scale/Transform is messed up. Difficult to explain (i.e. I don't understand it), but under the utilities tab, there is the reset Xform option. Select the object, reset the Xform, and collapse the modifier stack. This solves a lot of disappearing objects.

As to the final question, which shader/material for which texture, that's up to you to experiment with. It shouldn't however be much of an issue during export which shader is selected. If you want some examples of how I did a couple of materials, just ask and I'll post some examples.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby Class1987 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:24 am

Cheers for the information, yes that would be very helpful to see some examples. By the way I use DEM terrain which buts the ground level at 70m in height so should it be 70,70,70 instead with the axis in 3ds max?
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Nope, just place it at (0,0,0) that's ground level when you place it in TS.

I'll go and do some examples of the workhorse shaders the coming days. Don't expect anything fancy, just some random bits and bobs to give an idea of whats going on. Let us know if you manage to sort the disappearing object issues out. And please, do post screenshots.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby Class1987 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:26 pm

Ok thanks for the help I look forward to seeing the images should help a great deal.
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Postby Class1987 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi again have you had a chance to do those examples for me at all?
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Postby Pauls » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:37 am

Hi Ian,

Did you resolve the problem ? - what version of 3D Studio Max are you using ?

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Class1987 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:28 am

I'm using the 2016 version of 3ds max. No the problem hasn't been resolved yet unfortunately.
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Postby Pauls » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:46 pm

Hi Ian,

As well as Rest X-Form as suggested above have you also tried Re-setting the Transform and Scale (Under the Hierarchy tab) ?

Did you try some basic shaders and centre the object at 0,0,0 as suggested above as well ? Can you also confirm what names you have given the objects that don't show please.

Sadly I use 3D Studio Max 7 so I can't take a look at your model to try and help out. Perhaps put some screen shots up of your model, material and object names, include the parent, child hierarchy.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Class1987 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:24 pm

It was the whole model that didn't appear all I got was the shadow of my model. What I'll do on Monday when I get time is send you some screens of what I've been struggling with. :) I'll also give what you have advised me a try too.
Cheers.
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Next

Return to 3DS Max