The camera angle bug...

The camera angle bug...

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:22 am

Okay, this may or may not be a familiar bug to other users out here, so let me try and explain. It seems that there's a bug in TS, that causes objects to glitch out of view when viewed from certain camera angles. Let me illustrate:

Hi there, let me rotate the camera a fraction of a degree.

Where'd you go?!

Now I've had this bug plaguing me ever since starting out with TS (is that familiar?), rearing its' ugly head every now and then. Lately however, it seems to be much more common - basically every export I do has at least 1 node that glitches like shown above. This is starting to be annoying and rather counter productive. Now normally, I take the following steps, just before exporting, to counteract this glitch:

• Reset Xform on all objects.
  • Collapse the trajectories on animated bits.
  • Reset pivots, if possible (i.e. no other demands for pivot placement, such as with axles) I center them to the object.
  • I believe Derek Siddle has also once given the tip of making a large box, that contains the offending node, attaching the node to it, and then deleting the box. On several occasions this has helped.

I must say that this is all hit and miss, and some objects, like the shy chap above, keep on glitching out even though I've repeatedly taken all the steps described above.

So what's the issue then? Well, if you're working with animated objects, resetting pivot points or Xforms is often out of the question as it will mess up the animation in 3ds max completely. Moreover, in my latest dabbling with character creation, resetting Xforms is impossible as it will mess up the skin modifier. So what steps can I take to prevent this bug from happening? Any clues as to what causes it, so I've got something a bit more descriptive to google for?

Or are my exporters just messed up?
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Re: The camera angle bug...

Postby Pauls » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:57 pm

I've often seen this with wrong parent child relationships - or wrong naming conventions - This problem is also aligned with the RW Materials thread - the trick of attaching everything to an object then deleting the object can be useful - another trick that I'd forgotten that should be mentioned in the RW Materials thread - in this case I'm sure that something corrupts the original object in 3D Studio Max and the method corrects the corruption ?

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:30 pm

Well, the odd thing is, I used to think it had to do with corrupt parent-child relationships, but it's the only object in the scene this time thats playing up. Glad to know I'm not the only one with this specific bug though.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby VictoryWorks » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:03 am

I get this quite frequently and it's always caused by 1 of 2 situations:
Either the default rotation is not 0,0,0 or the centre of the object is not somewhere sensible, i.e. in the middle of the geometry.

Resetting the rotation and/or setting the centre point of the object to the centre of geometry always fixes it for me.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Return to 3DS Max