Tutorials on advanced texturing?

Tutorials on advanced texturing?

Postby Class1987 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:10 am

Hi everyone does anybody know where there are any good tutorials on advanced texturing so I can texture my models more realistically than I have them at the moment. So far I've only been able to do simple texturing.
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Re: Tutorials on advanced texturing?

Postby AndiS » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:31 am

Without a certain focus on what you want to achieve next, you will get lost or go mad in the sea of information that is out there. Much is not needed for mundane vehicles and buildings, but there is much to harvest out there even for our simple needs.

A few techniques that come in my mind for starters are the following. Take these terms to Google, see what you get and refine. Bookmark other stuff but try to get one sample into the game and preserve it. Otherwise you are like me, with a harddisk full of cool bits and no output.

Tiling (matching the edges of a texture so you can reuse it without seams showing).

Get familiar with all the materials available in the target game. Try out for yourself when it pays off to have bump map, shine or ambient occlusion.

Invest in GIMP or Photoshop to learn stuff like evening out the lighting of the raw texture. Often one side is brighter than the other or there are some eye-catching features that you want to get rid of. Or you simply want to straighten out the brick rows. A great texture simply applied can show great effects and it performs better than complex materials.

Multiple UV maps let you mix repeated fine details with more blurry overall colour that hides the repetitions. Think of repeated brick pattern plus overall dirt or discolouring layer that is not repeated.

Ambitious people create a high-poly model (which is easier that one would assume if you forget about performance constraints in the game) and bake that onto a low-poly model to produce the texture. Surely not easy, but it frees you from most of the trouble with the 2D exercise of producing a great texture.

One cool place among many is:
https://cgmasters.net/category/free-tut ... s-shaders/
This one mostly uses Blender. But don't get put off if they talk about software you don't use. The basic principles behind it are the same all the time.

Very valuable hints focussed on Rail Simulator = Railworks = Train Simulator 20xx:
http://railsimilarity.blogspot.com/
http://dereksiddle.blogspot.com/
http://the-art-of-rws.blogspot.com/
Of course, not all are about texturing, but many deal with materials in one way or the other, and they are all first hand information with the focus on what we do as opposed to monsters, guns and face animation.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby sumitsingh » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:50 pm

Overlay will help.
Say adding some rust with some diffuse brown colour and adjusting proper opacity helps.
You can also combine AO map and main texture with different opacities.
Finally bake textures.
That all I know in any Image Manipulation Program like Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop.
Look some relevant things on Youtube, you can get something new to learn.
sumitsingh
Full Time Fireman

Postby briyeo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:24 am

Build yourself a library of textures from sites such as https://www.textures.com/ You can never have too many. That site allows you to download a few textures for free each day, or you can pay for credits to allow more and larger downloads. The free ones are plenty large enough for TS2018 use though. There seems to be loads of tutorials on this subject on Youtube for 3DS Max and Blender, and none for the software I use 3D Crafter.
briyeo
Driver

Postby Class1987 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:44 pm

Arh brilliant this will help me a lot with my 3D modelling especially the large stations. Thanks for the help guys much appriciated.
Class1987
Full Time Fireman

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:47 pm

On textures.com also check the 'substances' section! Very good materials in there :).
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby gougha » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:58 am

I've recently changed my workflow so that all my texturing is done in substance painter.

Probable not that necessary for TS2018 but has a few advantages. Lots of tutorials, Repaints of my models becomes a lot easier (just a few tweaks can change tge look of a midel completely) and it also hopefully prepares me if we ever get the chance to build models for TSW.

Regards

Andy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
gougha
Full Time Fireman

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:14 pm

Substance painter has my interest. How is it performance wise? And is it suited for legacy shaders?
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby gougha » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:21 pm

Substance painter is an excellent bit of kit for the new generation of 3d engines (ie UE4, Unity etc.) . This was my main reason for adding it to my workflow so I could get used to it before I really needed it. In my view it better and slightly more stable than Quixel. My machine isn't up to date and I still get good use out of it. (Save regularly just on the off chance it crashes)

As for use with TS it has to be used with caution. You are not going to get the same results. That being said, when choosing the right export mode it separates out the various channels so you can easily play around in an art editor to get the desired results for use in blender/3dcrafter.

For example, I usually combine the base colour texture with the AO texture (using multiply) in Paint Shop Pro, before putting it back into Blender/3dCrafter. The normal layer can also be exported as a separate texture. This can then be used with the normal shaders in the normal way.

The downside to using substance painter is that you will need a reasonable graphics card, (Mine isn't new but is ok) and it may be out of the price range for some people. I currently pay for an indie licence monthly which gives me the basic substance packages. ie Painter, designer and B2M3. I think you can also get it on Steam.

My current workflow, which may give concern to some people lol,
Build the basic model in sketchup so that I can get sizes and shape right. (I am going to try and get better in blender so I can skip this bit)
Export it out of sketchup into blender using Blendup (Probably no longer available)
Clean up the model in blender and build the UVs and then export to FBX and OBJ
Using the FBX I then load that into Substance painter and build the textures. Export the textures to a folder
Using the OBJ folder I load that into 3DCrafter and use the textures as normal. (I use 3dCrafter because I like the exporter better. Again I may switch to blender but have to say the exporter confuses me.)
The export out of there into Train Sim.

Obviously I wont be using the Crafter when I switch to UE4 as I will load the same FBX as I use for substance painter.

Regards

Andy
gougha
Full Time Fireman

Return to 3DS Max