My offer of help to export sketchup models

My offer of help to export sketchup models

Postby gougha » Thu May 08, 2014 9:59 am

Hi.

In order to try and give something back after all the help and advice I have received over the past few years I thought I would offer my services. It may also get more models out there for people who would like to build routes but don't have the modelling skills required.

I know most people don't model in sketchup but as its one of the easiest modelling platforms to learn it is, in my humble opinion, a resource that is under used. I know that sketchup models tend to be a bit heavier on the polygon count than is ideal but I model all of my scenery in it and have to say that my route runs ok on my system.

The other problem is exporting to Train Simulator 2014. If you cant afford the pro version then your options are limited. That's where I come in. If you would like to model in sketchup but you are struggling to export then I am willing to export the model for you. All I ask is that the model be made freeware and uploaded to either this site or UKTS when it is finished and it is ready to go. It might also be an idea to upload the sketchup model to the sketchup community warehouse so that other people can make changes to the model for there routes without having to model it all from scratch. Please also make sure that the model is the correct scale and fully textured etc. I will then be able to export the model to 3ds or 3d Crafter for you to refine the model more or export to train simulator ready for you to place in a blueprint.

Regards

Andy
gougha
Full Time Fireman

Re: My offer of help to export sketchup models

Postby Nobkins » Thu May 08, 2014 11:03 am

A generous offer :D
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby yerkes » Thu May 08, 2014 12:55 pm

That is indeed a very generous offer which I may well take you up on. I built a good number of custom assets for MSTS using SketchUp, some of which may be worth exporting for TS. Seems a shame that they are otherwise just sitting on my hard disk gathering virtual dust!
yerkes
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Pauls » Thu May 08, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi Andy,

I use Sketchup. I was puzzled why you say the following........

I know that sketchup models tend to be a bit heavier on the polygon count than is ideal

When I first started using Sketchup this was definitely the case - however if I use Components this stops the polygons combining and making more complex polygons. Imagine two overlapping cubes - without using components to conrol the problem you get extra polygons and vertices where the cubes overlap.
If you make the first cube a Component then make the second cube and then make it a Component they overlap but there is no polygon or vertex increase.
The export process seems to respect the components without increasing vertices or polygons.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby gougha » Thu May 08, 2014 3:22 pm

I agree. I should have said I know others say that the poly count goes up. As I have never modeled in anything else but sketchup I shouldnt have passed comment. I have found that componants help hugely in this area but have read elsewhere that even this doesnt drop the count as much as using other software. That being said I love the simplicity of sketchup and will continue to use it on a daily basis.

Regards

Andy
gougha
Full Time Fireman

Postby rivimey » Thu May 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Andy, I'm intrigued... when I started modelling I tried Sketchup, and while I got going pretty quickly with basic shapes, I seemed to hit a roadblock when it came to doing anything more detailed. I know now of course that you can do detailed, but it's too late for me: I went off and learnt Blender... but that's another story.

I'm just wondering did you see any sort of learning step in going from simple to detailed?
rivimey
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby gougha » Thu May 08, 2014 7:13 pm

If I'm honest I cant actually remember the steps I took now. I know that most of my learning was done via youtube and trial and error. (More error). I am a fairly patient person who enjoys a challenge so 3d model making is right up my street. I still struggle with scale from time to time but that is easily fixed when the model is complete. I think it was just a case of adding the basics shapes to other basic shapes until I got something that was a bit more complicated. I'm sorry that its not a more in depth answer but I honestly cant remember.

Regards

Andy
gougha
Full Time Fireman

Postby Pauls » Fri May 09, 2014 3:11 am

gougha wrote:I agree. I should have said I know others say that the poly count goes up. As I have never modeled in anything else but sketchup I shouldnt have passed comment. I have found that componants help hugely in this area but have read elsewhere that even this doesnt drop the count as much as using other software. That being said I love the simplicity of sketchup and will continue to use it on a daily basis.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Understood.

I use Max a lot as well and Sketchup with Components gives an identical polygon count - so I have doubts about the guys on UKTS who claim greater complexity from Sketchup - I also do some of the texturing in Sketchup which exports OK to Max - (Not all types of texturing will export in my experience)

Sketchup is nice to use for regular shapes like buildings which is why I use it rather than Max. For complex things like loco's aircraft etc. I would stick with Max though.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby dazzharvey » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:46 pm

I'd like to find a tutorial that's more up to date.

I'm looking for a tutorial that covers sketchup - 3ds max - railworks - Either in simple laymen's terms or ladybird book format. I also have a copy of blender as well but when I tried previous tutorials for that one, Blender decided to not want to work anymore after spending hours texturing.

I'm finding Blender and 3ds max tutorials are all for versions so old that the GUI is nothing like the one on screen and since I'm still a total noob at this I have nothing to refer to or no one to talk to about it to pick their brains about the subject matter - Anyone i do find with the knowledge keeps it to them selves. I honestly can say I can probably join the Masons easier than get the info i need to port my models across

If anyone can point me towards something from this era then please feel free to as I have about 30-40 models needing ported over to the game for the Angus route.

Cheers guys.

Darren Harvey
dazzharvey
Engine Cleaner

Postby gougha » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi Darren

As far as sketchup is concerned it's not that I am keeping the export process secret it's just that I use sketchup pro which makes the process easy. There are other ways I believe but they require a masters degree in good luck and judgement.

If you do find a way there are lots of people out there who would appreciate the information.

My above offer stands if you need something converting in the mean time.

Regards

Andy.
gougha
Full Time Fireman

Next

Return to SketchUp