Texturing problems

Texturing problems

Postby Llew Bach » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Hi Everyone

This is my first post on this great new site! I've built many models for my own Railworks routes and whilst they all vary in build quality I'm quite pleased with them. Although I've been building stuff for a few years now I still can't master the art of texturing. I gave up on trying to understand texture unwrapping some time ago and now only use the fill tool and/or paint brush. This is hit and miss for me though! This afternoon I decided to use Bridge Engineer to build a two arched bridge for one of the stations on my route. I made the shape I wanted without any problem and I created a texture which included a stone arch - all ok so far! I managed to texture one side of the bridge using the paint brush and then the "operation adjust" tool but when I did the same with the other opposite side of the bridge the texturing I made on first side then became distorted. This happens quite often so I usually end up making a model with say 4 sides with 4 cubes (as walls) rather than one. It's not so easy though with a bridge because of the arches and I've had to give up on this one for the moment. If I don't need to use the "operation adjust" tool on a particular model then there does not appear to be a problem.

I've tried various settings (add faces to the back side, different co-ordinates, render double sided) but all to no avail. I've tried to research this problem many times but without success so I'm now kindly seeking your help please in finding a solution. I'm using Canvas Pro version 9.2.2 build 1546. Could that be the problem I wonder?

Thanks

Llew
Llew Bach
Engine Cleaner

Re: Texturing problems

Postby briyeo » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:38 am

I don't have a solution I'm afraid Llew, but I have also had strange happenings with the paintbrush in Crafter. I have been texturing chimney stacks, it's been going to plan when I have added the texture to a face only to have the adjacent texture disappear. I have got the job done in the end but sometimes not before first closing down Crafter or even restarting the Laptop.
I wonder if my Laptop isn't powerful enough for Crafter sometimes?
briyeo
Driver

Postby MikeTrams » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:06 pm

Your first problem is that you're giving up. ;) Unwrapping is fundamental to making good textures, as annoying and boring as it is it much be done, and preferably done properly. I recommend going on youtube and watching some video tutorials, they're probably the best way to learn. It's fairly easy once you know what you're doing and it's never a quick job, you can probably spend a few hours trying to do it.

Good luck!

Cheers,
M
MikeTrams
General Shed Duties

Postby Llew Bach » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks Brian and Mike

It seems that the answer is perseverance and more research! I'll try and give unwrapping another go on the basis that it's "fairly easy" once I've found out how to do it - hadn't realised though that there were tutorials on You Tube, which will be my starting point.

Thanks again

David :D
Llew Bach
Engine Cleaner

Postby acorncomputer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:38 pm

Hello Llew

This is an annoying problem which has been discussed here -

http://amabilis.com/?topic=crashing-whe ... ost-109190

It seems that you can get around this but it is a bit of a pain.

The UV mapping section does work in Canvas & Crafter but after a couple of operations the program grinds to a halt. Optimising and Compacting seem to re-set whatever the problem is.

My solution is to keep on using Canvas which is very stable under W7 and works well as long as you keep to the rules.

-
Geoff Potter - Doing Something
acorncomputer
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby briyeo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:55 am

Thanks Geoff, that clears that mystery up, well sort of anyway. :)
briyeo
Driver

Postby Llew Bach » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:18 pm

Thanks for the additional advice - I've not tried that tip but it looks promising.

I've also had another try at mapping my bridge using a bit of (for me at any rate!) lateral thinking - and it worked!! I used a blank canvas as my texture and with the mapping tool created an outline of the selected part of the bridge (the arch) onto the texture. I then fitted a bridge texture onto the blank canvas, reloaded it into 3DC and hey presto it worked! Probably not magic but the way I should have done it in the first place!! The problem now is finding a better texture for an arched bridge - the one I've used is a bit naff. No luck on the web so far.

Thanks guys for all your help.

Llew
Llew Bach
Engine Cleaner

Return to 3DCrafter