Victoria Station Hotel

Re: Victoria Station Hotel

Postby briyeo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:17 pm

Paul you can see on that second picture you posted that the brickwork base isn't there, I don't know when it first appeared, and I don't know really where the door was, but it has to be at the back.

I could be a little bit out of proportion but then again it's no good if it doesn't reach Parliament street bridge.

briyeo
Driver

Postby Pauls » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Hi Brian,

I think the platform staircases are wider than you're portraying - perhaps double width ? ........... however I think the most important thing is that you give a sense of accuracy and your model as-is achieves this - otherwise you end up with my detail OCD and nothing ever gets finished - I like your model just the way you have done it - if it took this much research to see errors then no-one other than a very few enthusiasts are going to know ? - it has the character and atmosphere of the original and is plausible - very importantly there is nothing else like it in RW.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby briyeo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:20 am

That was the only dimension I had Paul, ;-) they are 7 feet wide. Keith measured the one at Rothley and that was 7 feet too. I think the Crafter camera doesn't help, I will need to put in game and then see what I think of it. I think it will be OK.
briyeo
Driver

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:21 pm

I don't think there's any doubt that the walkway from the cross-bridge to the Parliament Street entrance is double-width, based on the size of the doorway, but I don't believe the stairs to the platforms are much, if any, wider than those I saw at Quorn or Rothley a couple of weeks ago. Photos that show them show handrails on either side, as they are at Rothley and Quorn. The double-width flight of steps at Loughborough has a central handrail with brass studs on the top, the latter presumably to stop kids sliding down them. The 7ft dimension Brian found does tie in with the extant access stairs and, by Mark 1 eyeball, with the stairs at the few stations with entrances via a subway from below, like New Basford.

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby Pauls » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:27 pm

MMMmmmmmmmmm....

If you look at the above at platform level it looks like a double width staircase with a hand rail on each side - the entrance appears wider than it is tall ? - which suggest quite a bit more than 7 ft wide ? - Measuring pixels the staircase seems to be about 2/3rds the width of the corridor/walkway near the street level entrance ? - Anyway not really sure - the angle of the photo could easily deceive - The staircase platform entrance also seems to take up most of the platform width - The test model in RW looks to be quite a bit smaller in width compared to the platform ? - Anyway - I don't want to sound like I'm arguing - I'm just puzzling over the details (Just an habit from doing lots of modelling :) ) - I do know that I love Brian's model as it is right now though - I don't think any changes are necessary.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby briyeo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:54 pm

This may convince you I was right all along Paul :) There is a man with a bike near the platform entrance, I'm guessing he isn't 6ft tall. There will be a lot wrong with the model I just need to make it look the part and not worry too much about things.

briyeo
Driver

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:52 pm

The thing that frustrates me is what was written on the upper boards over the stairwells. The lower one on both sides simply says WAY OUT in standard BR style but I haven't seen a photo that gives a clear image of either upper board. I suspect it will be something like Marylebone on the Down side and Sheffield or Manchester on the Up side but I haven't a clue.

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby Pauls » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:46 pm

What a superb photo ! - I'm convinced ! :) :) - shows caution is needed when trying to figure things out from photo's - looks like the roof is quite wide which would give the wrong impression in the aerial views (told you your model didn't need changing :lol: )

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Chris Baker » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:26 am

I think you have out done yourself with this bridge Brian . It really does look superb.And the Clock tower and hotel. I think i need to up my game ;)

Chris
Chris Baker
Passed Fireman

Previous

Return to 3DCrafter