Victoria Footbridge Entrance

Re: Victoria Footbridge Entrance

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:46 pm

Without being an engineer, the supports look entirely believable to me Brian. Pretty amazing for guesswork. :)

Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:00 pm

I am an engineer and I don't think they're strictly correct but it's all ultimately guesswork. Brian's dead right that photos of this structure are very few and far between. What he's done is plausible and that's good enough under the circumstances. By Sod's Law, a clear photo will turn up now but, until it does, I am with everyone else giving Brian a round of richly-deserved applause. It's a magnificent piece of work. The shame is that player's won't be able to come into Victoria under it from the south as Chris has the tracks laid at the moment.

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby briyeo » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:35 pm

I'm an engineer too Keith, but I have every confidence that it won't fall down, so long as Chris doesn't move that bridge ;) When TS2015 comes out next month it will enable scenarios to even start in a tunnel,you will be able to start scenarios on the run. That would do for me, rolling into Victoria like that would be an amazing experience.
briyeo
Driver

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:51 pm

Start in a tunnel? We need improved occlusions, then, that will make the exhaust swirl around the engine and also sit sniffing a freshly cut onion so we're choking and have streaming eyes! That's simulating the real thing. :-D

Have we decided whether to add the gongs and signals in the tunnels?

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby Chris Baker » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:51 pm

Rockdoc2174 wrote:Start in a tunnel? We need improved occlusions, then, that will make the exhaust swirl around the engine and also sit sniffing a freshly cut onion so we're choking and have streaming eyes! That's simulating the real thing. :-D

Have we decided whether to add the gongs and signals in the tunnels?

Keith

Funny you sound mention gongs, Ive been pondering that. Without looking i think they where only in Mansfeild road tunnel ? We could tie a gong sound to a signal in the tunnel maybe. They where used for shunting. So if your in the tunnel waiting to set back a gong could sound when the signal clears for you to set your train back into the station as you had no chance of seeing the signal with the curve of the tunnel.

Next question , what did the gongs sound like?
Would this be a bit OTT in the tunnel do you think????? :evil:
http://www.youtube.com/v/Uie4YqrhNHQ

Chris
Chris Baker
Passed Fireman

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:41 pm

I have no idea what they were like but I would guess that they were more like a fire-bell, with a bell-shaped gong and a rotating hammer whose ends did the striking. Not all of the gongs were for shunting. I read that one was in Mansfield Road tunnel to give drivers a clue about where they were. The tunnel was so often smokey that it was easy to lose your bearings and the article said that a near-accident happened before WW1 when a driver came into the station faster than he should have. He managed to stop his train before hitting the buffers in the bay but it was a close-run thing. That gong was on whenever a train approached from the north.

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby Chris Baker » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:45 pm

Rockdoc2174 wrote:I have no idea what they were like but I would guess that they were more like a fire-bell, with a bell-shaped gong and a rotating hammer whose ends did the striking. Not all of the gongs were for shunting. I read that one was in Mansfield Road tunnel to give drivers a clue about where they were. The tunnel was so often smokey that it was easy to lose your bearings and the article said that a near-accident happened before WW1 when a driver came into the station faster than he should have. He managed to stop his train before hitting the buffers in the bay but it was a close-run thing. That gong was on whenever a train approached from the north.

Keith

Looking at it, it says the gong on the up line was a mechanical gong, So im guessing this gong rang automatic as the train run past it to alert crews they where nearly in the Vic.
The gong on the down line says Electric gong. So this must of been the one the North box had control over to signal to trains being shunted. So that must mean that all shunting in the tunnel was handled on the down line?

I certainly would like to implement the the mechanical one running into the Vic. ive found myself a few times not knowing where i am in the tunnel and running into the Vic too fast.

Chris
Chris Baker
Passed Fireman

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:16 am

Chris Baker wrote:Looking at it, it says the gong on the up line was a mechanical gong, So im guessing this gong rang automatic as the train run past it to alert crews they where nearly in the Vic.

That's a fair assumption. A treadle tripped by the wheels could be made to spin the hammer. I know nothing about sounds in RW but we'd have to find a way to associate the ringing with a position on the line. Otherwise, it would be sounding all the time and you don't want that during shunting.

The gong on the down line says Electric gong. So this must of been the one the North box had control over to signal to trains being shunted. So that must mean that all shunting in the tunnel was handled on the down line?

Not necessarily. The controlled gongs were used to tell drivers when their trains had gone far enough into the tunnel to clear any points - so they could stop - and when to move back into the station. In the confined space of the tunnel I don't think the gongs would have been needed on both sides to be heard clearly enough. I would expect that the mechanical and electric gongs would have had different tones to avoid confusion and that the treadle would have been designed so that a train running wrong line wouldn't damage it.

I certainly would like to implement the the mechanical one running into the Vic. ive found myself a few times not knowing where i am in the tunnel and running into the Vic too fast.

I think the mechanical gong is a must but the electric gongs would be tricky to implement, I suspect. They were only used for shunting and I can't see how we could separate a shunting train from a service train and stop them sounding when they weren't needed. I suppose it might be possible through scripting but I'm not at all sure the effort is worth it. We have the in-game equivalent of destination markers so trains can stop at a suitable position while points change, making a gong unnecessary. There is no track circuitry in RW so the game doesn't know when you reach the stopping point to trigger the sound nor, as far as I know, can the game be made to create a sound after the timer has expired. It all seems like a desperate faff that will absorb time better spent elsewhere.

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby hertsbob » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:30 pm

briyeo wrote:Image

I hate myself for posting this and appearing to critisise such outstanding work, which is not the intention at all. And I readily accept that it's a pedantic point, but then again the whole of the Vic seems to have been built on pedantry so here goes. :)

The brick arch here seems to be too low.
FB1.jpg

FB2.jpg

I can't begin to think how anybody would ever notice this and I can't believe that I have. :roll: Just thought I'd mention it. :oops:
hertsbob
Passed Fireman

Postby briyeo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Well I hope it's just the strange perspective that TS2014 camera gives things especially at the default setting Bob, this building seems to suffer more than most. I would never pretend that it is an accurate model of the footbridge, one of my main criteria was that it starts at the platform level and eventually reaches the road. I always though I had everything a little on the tall side, but I had that road level to reach so accepted that.

Try this screenshot, I really don't think I'm a long way off.

Or did you just mean the steelwork on the top of the arch is too deep? It is a little bit too deep there.

briyeo
Driver

PreviousNext

Return to 3DCrafter