Direct X Error

Direct X Error

Postby BigVern » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:16 pm

Well here's a strange one, the resurfacing of the old Direct X error message on trying to start 3DC 7. Last time I had this was when I was a member at UKTS which I don't think provided a solution.

Despite working okay a few months ago when I previously tried to run the software, last week I couldn't get past the DX error message again. The only material thing I have done to the laptop was install the CE edition of TANE (followed by an even more rapid uninstall) which might or might not have popped in DX11. As a precaution I did a DX check/latest version update from the MS but still getting the error. I'm also running 3DC as administrator and in XP compatability mode but still no joy.

So a bit of a mystery, I suppose I could try rolling back my DX install to a pre-TANE date if the system allows it but just wondered how anyone else who's seen this might have solved the issue?
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Re: Direct X Error

Postby VictoryWorks » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:17 pm

No idea myself but a quick search pulled up this
I seem to remember that I had similar problems when installing Canvas 7 onto my vista system. A couple of things that I found affected the running of canvas, was that you must have User account control (UAC) turned on.

The other thing that comes to mind is not to use the "run as adminstrator" option.
http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=72759&p=872224
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby BigVern » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:18 am

I'll give that a try Pete, if no joy or rolling back DX doesn't work guess it's time to teach myself Blender!
BigVern
Driver

Postby Pauls » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:38 pm

Hi,

My 3DC7 stopped working long ago on my Windows 7 machine - I think it is a Windows Script Host problem which seems impossible to fix without re-installing Windows 7 again.
I tried replacing and registering various missing and corrupt WSH files but some won't register. The same WSH problem is also affecting some, but not all of the RW Tools functions.

I've got the feeling it all started with Bullguard anti-virus - removing it and replacing with Avast sadly didn't help.

It should also be noted that customer support from Aramabilis is totally non-existent - not even an acknowledgement of several e-mails to them - truly abysmal service.

I tried installing 3DC8 and this didn't work either - daren't even try 3D Crafter - just throwing good money after bad.

Cheers
Paul
Last edited by Pauls on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pauls
Driver

Postby BigVern » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:29 pm

Sounds like it might be fubar, then. Likewise not worth chancing Crafter just to create a few station nameboards, etc.

Strange how Train Sim Modeller still works, albeit no good for RW or Trainz (unless there's a Blender plug in that would import the geometry and textures).
BigVern
Driver

Postby briyeo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:32 pm

Just wondering, do you have to buy Crafter again if you already have a license key for Canvas?
briyeo
Driver

Postby BigVern » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:55 pm

briyeo wrote:Just wondering, do you have to buy Crafter again if you already have a license key for Canvas?

I believe so, with current exchange rates making the "Pro" version nearly £50, as I said not worth it for a few simple signs and structures.

Wonder what happened to RSC/DTG as at one point they were going to produce some re-nameable signs to use in 3rd party routes? Must have gone the same way as the narrow gauge pack I was assured by a senior staffer over a year ago was being prepared to go on Marketplace/Workshop.... :? :?
BigVern
Driver

Postby briyeo » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:06 pm

Seems there is a cut off point for upgrades with Crafter license purchaser's too. "3DCrafter 9 is a free upgrade for anyone who purchased July 1st, 2010 or later." Would that include buyers of some versions of Canvas too?
briyeo
Driver

Postby BigVern » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:55 am

As an aside, there is a tentative discussion at TS http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread ... e-requests from a guy who appears to be looking in to doing some upgrades (unofficial I presume) to Train Sim Modeller. I've added my voice that support for export into other sim formats would be a top priority - I always enjoyed (not sure if that's quite the right sentiment!) working in TSM and it certainly made knocking out simple signs and structures relatively easy.
BigVern
Driver

Postby BigVern » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:38 am

Well here's a strange thing. On a hunch, I uninstalled then reinstalled 3DC 7 and it now works again, go figure!
BigVern
Driver

Next

Return to 3DCrafter