Bogie not pivoting in AI service - Fixed

Bogie not pivoting in AI service - Fixed

Postby FastlineSimulation » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:04 pm

Just a wonder here if anyone else has come across bogies not pivoting when a rolling stock item is used in an AI service?

I've got two items with identical naming, blueprint setup, hierarchy etc.etc. One behaves as it should in AI service the other doesn't - both are absolutely fine when used in a player service.

Looking at items from other developers it appears to happen with some of those too.

Any thoughts or observations?

Alex
Last edited by FastlineSimulation on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastlineSimulation
Fit for Firing Duties

Re: Bogie not pivoting in AI service

Postby VictoryWorks » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:27 pm

Nothing to add apart from :?

If the 2 items are completely identical it sounds like some kind of core issue. Is it always the same one that works, or does swapping the consists around make a difference?
VictoryWorks
Driver

Re: Bogie not pivoting in AI service

Postby FastlineSimulation » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:28 pm

It's consistently the same models that show the issue. Consist position makes no difference and neither does flipping them.

If you pop them in a free roam taking control of the consist this makes everything pivot as it should but as soon as you select another consist the bogies spring back to straight in line with the parent.

The parent objects are different but everything is collapsed down to Editable Mesh before export. Naming is identical too and fully matches the blueprint.

I'm tending towards that idea that it may be shape related to the parent node (possibly number of sub materials or poly count) which are greater in the one that's failing.

Seriously starting to annoy though. :evil:
FastlineSimulation
Fit for Firing Duties

Re: Bogie not pivoting in AI service - Fixed

Postby FastlineSimulation » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:27 pm

The tracker tells me I spent 5 hours tracking this one down!

However, it's worth documenting as the solution was bizarre to say the very least.

There was one difference I had overlooked between the model that was pivoting correctly and those that were not and it had nothing to do with naming, hierarchy, bogie blueprints etc. The one that was working correctly had an animated element which the others did not.

By a process of elimination and desperation swapping/copying of blueprints I found that using the blueprint of the correctly working model with the shape for one of those that wasn't working then made that shape work. Tidying up the blueprint and removing the animation entries that pointed to the original model referenced in the blueprint then broke the second model again.

What is even more strange is that the animation entries need to be created in the render and control sections of the blueprint but don't have to point to an animation they just have to be there for the bogies to pivot in AI use!
FastlineSimulation
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby VictoryWorks » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:58 pm

So, to clarify... :?

If you allow the game to do it's auto-rotation of the bogies based on their node name, then it doesn't work on AI.
If you animate the bogie rotation yourself, even if you don't add that animation name to the bogie blueprint section, then that enables it to rotate.

That sounds.... mad! :shock:
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby FastlineSimulation » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:48 am

Almost.

You don't have to animate the rotation at all. Just have empty animation entries in the Anim Set and Control Values sections of the blueprint.
FastlineSimulation
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby VictoryWorks » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:13 am

Gotcha. That's a bit less mad... but clearly a bug in the core. I guess it's gotta be a new one? We'd have surely noticed it in the past 8 years.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby FastlineSimulation » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Not sure how new an issue it is as once you're aware it's surprising how you start to spot it.

Is probably masked to an extent with animations being used with relation to tail lamps which 'fixes' it without being noticed.
FastlineSimulation
Fit for Firing Duties

Return to Rolling Stock General