Caution - Novice alert

Caution - Novice alert

Postby john13 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi folks,

I'm ( very ) slowly trying to get something made for TS2xxx. I'm reasonably comfortable with the 3D modelling ( 3DCrafter ) side - though this probably hides all sorts of naivety and misunderstanding. I'm less comfortable with the blueprinting process. I have one model - a Penrhyn 'open' - showing up in the QD consist editor, though with a 'coupling issue' which I've not yet figured out. My current attention is on an ancient 40hp Simplex, for which I'm putting together the relevant BP's. Some questions about TS2xxx blueprints and folders if I may......

1) The 'Source' folder structure;

RailVehicles
Diesel
Simplex40hp
Engine/Audio/Cabview/Simulation

allows for variants of a vehicle type to be included as I understand it. There were three types of the 40hp Simplexes originally and those surviving include 'non-standard' hybrid versions. So, does it make sense to include all of the variants under the same folder or would it be preferable to treat them all individually? I'm guessing that the individual approach might be best as the extant examples would have quite different cabviews and a variety of coupling arrangements as far as I can see. There would be some other minor differences in some aspects of physics I suppose, though I'm a long way from that as yet :) I'll be pleased enough to get one of them working, but don't want to miss any useful options along the way.

2) The simulation blueprint doesn't seem to allow for a vehicle with only a hand brake - though of course I might have missed something......

3) Assuming appropriate permission, can I use couplings from other rail vehicle/s? If so, how would I set about this?

4) The Simplexes were all petrol engine machines, but there doesn't seem to be an option for that. Diesel's cheaper now too.

I'd also appreciate any suggestions about where to start on the 'scripting' / LUA files. I can see the principles ( at least I think I can.....) but haven't yet found much in the way of beginner tutorials or examples.

Thanks. It's a bit daunting some times, seeing the quality of other people's output!

Cheers
John
john13
Engine Cleaner

Return to Rolling Stock General