rolling stock designed on stketchup for TS using 3dsmax

rolling stock designed on stketchup for TS using 3dsmax

Postby honeybaobao » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi everyone,

I am design the rolling stock with sketchup 2018, and it is working well, but when I will be done, I will need to convert for TS, and I guess will be not easy, not like design a house, you 3dsmax or blender to convert on IGS and use the texdif shadder.

my question is what is the process for the rolling stock from sketchup to TS, using 3dsmax to save on the source folder.

My sketchup objects to 3dsmax are converted on OBJ, because from SKP directly to 3dsmax,it's not convinient.

Thansk for the help, do not hesitate to ask question if it is for sure need more informations for help

Cheers,

Cedric

P.S : I own too 3dcrafter too
honeybaobao
Fit for Firing Duties

Re: rolling stock designed on stketchup for TS using 3dsmax

Postby sumitsingh » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:56 pm

Hello,
Check scale when you export from Sketchup.
I think the scale get reduced from 1 to 0.1 in Blender causing to look like a Man's boot size Assets. ;)

Making assets in 3DS Max Blender and 3D Crafter is more useful than Sketchup.

Sketchup is for Architecture generally. :ugeek:

The Guide to export models from 3DSMax to TS can be found on RailWorks America download section. Simply Google DevDocs Railworks.
Remember MAXPlugin can be used till 3DSMax 2016.
However Blender and 3DCrafter have latest built own exporters.

The RailWorks French Website have some tutorials - http://www.railsim-fr.com/forum/index.php?/files/category/5-tutoriels/
sumitsingh
Full Time Fireman

Postby Aadit Jha » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:08 am

It would be better if you stop using sketchup as it is a program with not much availability of options! You don't have curves, splines, subdivides, or many more options available in other softwares! 3d crafter would be better if you are considering to model for game.
Aadit Jha
General Shed Duties

Postby honeybaobao » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:30 am

Thanks for your replies, but in my mind Sketchup is a 3D software, maybe differents than the others, and I find out lot of peoples use for TS or MSTS, including TrainZ too.

It's not I don't like the others software, but I feel it's like match my skill, I tried manytimes tuto for blender or 3ds or 3dcrafter and gived up. Sketchup immediatly adapted.

I will try again, because maybe one time need to go on, or when I finish the rolling stock, I will need more than some clicks skills to convert.
honeybaobao
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby AndiS » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:47 am

I guess you can get the best out of the situation if you keep an eye on limitations. You will be most efficient in creating static meshes in Sketchup. Where you texture them is an interesting questions. For animation, I guess you will go to another program. Just my guess, of course. You need to find out for yourself because the balance of support by sophisticated software versus effort to learn using that is different for each and every person.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Pauls » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi,

I export from Sketchup 7 to Vivaty Studio using the GoogleEarth kmz format to Vivaty Studio then from Vivaty Studio to 3D Studio Max using the VRML wrl format then finally to Railworks. I've found you can scale, rotate and move the textures in Sketchup but if I distort the textures by moving the pins in Sketchup it won't export properly. Make sure each object in Sketchup is made into a group or component before creating any further parts which intersect it in any way or you will end up with a very complex model.

http://www.web3d.org/projects/vivaty-studio

The scale and textures are preserved with the above method.

You can export from Vivaty to 3D Crafter as well if that is what you want to do.

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby honeybaobao » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Pauls wrote:Hi,

I export from Sketchup 7 to Vivaty Studio using the GoogleEarth kmz format to Vivaty Studio then from Vivaty Studio to 3D Studio Max using the VRML wrl format then finally to Railworks. I've found you can scale, rotate and move the textures in Sketchup but if I distort the textures by moving the pins in Sketchup it won't export properly. Make sure each object in Sketchup is made into a group or component before creating any further parts which intersect it in any way or you will end up with a very complex model.

http://www.web3d.org/projects/vivaty-studio

The scale and textures are preserved with the above method.

You can export from Vivaty to 3D Crafter as well if that is what you want to do.

Cheers
Paul

Hi Pauls,

Thanks for your reply, I tried too, but vivaty doesn't work on my computer, whatever the file format i import for vivaty, it's refused, because have some messages error, so I gived up and u use the obj file type, because when my rolling stock will be ready, it need the animation, that's what I am a little worrying how to work on, with shaders or the IA file type, IGS file type
honeybaobao
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby gougha » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:08 pm

I have started using blendup which works fairly well but only works from Sketchup 2016 (either make or pro). It is free for simple objects but there is a cost for the better version. Not much though. Blendup isn't supported anymore but like I said works fairly well as is.

Andy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
gougha
Full Time Fireman

Postby honeybaobao » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:36 am

gougha wrote:I have started using blendup which works fairly well but only works from Sketchup 2016 (either make or pro). It is free for simple objects but there is a cost for the better version. Not much though. Blendup isn't supported anymore but like I said works fairly well as is.

Andy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi Gougha,

Thanks for your reply and your tips, I tried it is very cool, but unfortunately, the guy stop to sell the plugin, so bad, because it is the type I need, I will contact the developper to see in case he plan others version or sell it again.

I found this plugin for blender, a little like blendup but free.

https://github.com/martijnberger/pyslapi/releases/tag/0.17 it's work on the blender 2.79
honeybaobao
Fit for Firing Duties

Return to Rolling Stock General