Just Trains UK Modern Signals Guide (Unofficial)

A collection of tutorials, guides and FAQ's.
Forum rules
Please only create new topics if you are posting a new guide, tutorial or FAQ.

Feel free to post in any existing topic asking questions, seeking clarification etc.

Just Trains UK Modern Signals Guide (Unofficial)

Postby Nobkins » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:40 pm

Update History
8th September 2014 - 1st Public Release of Documentation

Introduction
Just trains have created an excellent package of modern UK signals. The signals contain some advanced features. Signalling in RailSimulator can be a bit of an art form. This guide will NOT do any of the following:
Why should I use these Signals?
Simply put, at the time of writing, these signals are the best I have ever come across. The feature set is large and I have been able to signal very complex junctions and large stations 100% prototypically. Here are just a few of the features included:
  • 2 Aspect, 3 Aspect, 4 Aspect signals with bulb and LED variations
  • The signals have light emitters assigned to them so they actually illuminate passing trains etc with a faint but very visually pleasing / realistic glow. The glow has 3 strength levels customisable in game
  • Calling on indicators (Associated Position lights)
  • Working TPWS grids for Over Speed Sensors (OSS) and Train Stop Sensors (TSS)
  • 4 different types of approach control. Each is fully customisable in terms of when the controlling signal is allowed to clear up to a less restrictive aspect
  • Double and single theatres boxes
  • Stencil Indicators
  • Working signal ID plates
  • Automatic and controlled signals are plated up correctly.
  • Working SPAD Indicators
  • Ground position lights
  • Limit of shunt signals
  • Off indicators
  • Banner repeaters
  • Distant signals
  • and many more!

How to Obtain the Signal Pack?
Just trains have not released the signal kit as a separate piece of DLC. The only way to obtain the signal kit (at the time of writing) is to purchase one of the following routes from the JustTrains web site:
If you would like JustTrains to release the signals as a separate asset pack then please let them know. They might consider it if enough people ask!

Demonstration Route, Scenarios, Manual and Tools
A demonstration route with scenarios is available to assist with learning how to use the signals. Each scenario is a free roam scenario. In almost all of them you can just watch the AI move the trains and observe the signals. Some require you to drive the trains. Please pay attention to the scenario description which will tell you what (if anything) you need to do.

This route and scenarios were created in conjunction with the tutorial videos (see below). You are encouraged to use the videos in conjunction with the route. The scenarios are numbered in the same way as the videos.

Download Just Trains UK Modern Signals - Demonstration Route, Scenarios, Manual and Tools

Please note this DOES NOT include the signals themselves. Please refer to "How to Obtain the Signal Pack" above if you do not have the signals already.

How to Access the Signals in Game
You need to enable the following developer filter:
JustTrains --> CommonLibrary

Please note. In some early routes the signals were provided in the following developer filter:
JustTrains --> JT_ModernSignals

If you can not find the Common Library folder the JT_ModerSignals is the same.

In the world editor all signals start with "JTMS" so you can find them easily.

Video Tutorials
A series of video tutorials have been created to help illustrate some of the features. It is strongly recommended that you use these videos in conjunction with the demo route and this guide.

Here is a link to the complete YouTube playlist.

Or you can click to watch a specific video below.

1. Basic Signal Placement
  2. Naming Signals
  3. Placing AWS Magnets
  4. Signalling a Junction with Junction Indicators
  5. Approach Control
    1. Low speed junctions: Approach from red. The signal will clear up to a less restrictive aspect where possible when you pass over the AWS magnet for the red signal
    2. Low to medium speed junctions: Approach from red. The signal will clear up to a less restrictive aspect (maximum of double yellow) where possible upon passing the preceding signal. Upon passing the AWS magnet for the junction signal the signal will clear to green if possible
    3. Medium speed junctions: Signal held at single yellow. The signal will clear up to a less restrictive aspect where possible upon passing the AWS magnet for the junction signal.
    4. High speed junctions: Approach control with flashing yellows. The signal will clear up to a less restrictive aspect upon passing the AWS magnet for the junction signal.
  6. Special Signal Asset: Approach Box. This is a special signal asset that can be placed to control the exact location where the signal will clear up to a less restrictive aspect when using approach control.
    1. Low speed junctions: Approach from red. The signal will clear up to a less restrictive aspect where possible when you pass the Special Signal Asset: Approach Box
    2. Low to medium speed junctions: Approach from red. The signal will clear up to a less restrictive aspect (maximum of double yellow) where possible upon passing the Special Signal Asset: Approach Box. Upon passing the AWS magnet for the junction signal the signal will clear to green if possible
    3. Medium speed junctions: Signal held at single yellow. The signal will clear up to a less restrictive aspect where possible upon passing the Special Signal Asset: Approach Box.
    4. High speed junctions: Approach control with flashing yellows. The signal will clear up to a less restrictive aspect upon passing the Special Signal Asset: Approach Box.
    5. Using multiple Approach Control Boxes with the same signal. You can use multiple boxes to trigger release at different locations for different links
  7. Signalling a Junction with Theatre Boxes
  8. Calling on Indicators
  9. Special Signal Asset: Calling on Box
  10. Yard Links
  11. Special Signal Asset: Yard Box
  12. Adding Theatre boxes or stencil indicators to signals not equipped with them
  13. Ground Position Lights
  14. Preset Ground Position Lights
  15. Limit of Shunt
  16. End of Track Signal (EOT)
  17. TPWS Overspeed Sensors (OSS)
  18. TPWS Permanent Speed Restriction Sensors
  19. TPWS Train Stop Sensor and Passing Signals at Danger
  20. Spad Indicator
  21. Special Signal Asset: AI Only Signal and Stopping Points
  22. Configuring Signal Glows (High, Medium, Low)
  23. Trigger TAB (passing signals at danger)
Naming Convention
The signal names are structured in a specific way so that you can easily find what you need and understand the options that signal has. The easiest way to explain the naming is to give a few examples. Please refer to the table below.
Signal NameBulb or LEDAspectsLinksOptionsDescription
JTMS B3A 0TB Bulb3A 3 Aspects0T ZeroNone3 aspect bulb signal with no links and plated up as a control signal
JTMS B3A 0T AutoB Bulb3A 3 Aspects0T ZeroAuto Automatic signal3 aspect bulb signal with no links plated up as an automatic signal
JTMS B4A 2TB Bulb4A 4 Aspects2T 2 linksNone4 aspect bulb signal able to signal two routes (2 links)
JTMS B4A 3T F14 CB Bulb4A 4 Aspect3T 3 linksF14 Junction Indicators 1 & 4
C Calling On indicator
4 aspect bulb signal able to signal 3 routes and with junction indicators 1 & 4 and a calling on indicator
JTMS B4A 3T F14 CWB Bulb4A 4 Aspect3T 3 linksF14 Junction Indicators 1 & 4
C Calling On indicator
W Wide / Large signal post
4 aspect bulb signal on a large post able to signal 3 routes and with junction indicators 1 & 4 and a calling on indicator
JTMS B3A 3T SI CsB Bulb3A 3 Aspect3T 3 linksSI Stencil Indicator (for calling on indicator)
C Calling on indicator
s Short post
3 aspect bulb signal able to signal 3 routes (3 links). Equipped with a calling on indicator with a stencil indicator box to give route information
JTMS L3A 4T THL LED3A 3 Aspect4T 4 linksTH Theatre box (single character)3 aspect LED signal able to signal 4 routes (4 links). Equipped with a single character theatre box
JTMS L4A 5T THD CWL LED4A 4 Aspect5T 5 linksTHD Theatre box (double character)
C Calling on indicator
W Wide / large signal post
4 aspect LED signal able to signal 4 routes (5 links). Equipped with a double character theatre box, Calling on indicator and on a wide / large signal post

Some basic points regarding signals and their uses
  • Only signals with zero links [0T] will have automatic variants [Auto]. This is because signals that have 1 or more links protect junctions and therefore MUST be control signals.
  • Although there are approx. 1350 signal items in the pack you are unlikely to use more than 100 different signals in most routes. The large number of signals allows for the greatest flexibility
  • For a particular complex signal it may be possible to build it up from parts if the exact signal is not available. eg. adding a double theatre box to a signal that has junction indicators
  • A "Calling on Indicator" could also be called an "Associated Position Light"
  • A "Junction Indicator" could also be called a "Feather"
Common Problems (and potential solutions)
Problem:
All aspects and lights remain illuminated when you play the game (in the world editor it is normal for all aspects of the signal to be illuminated)
Solution:If the signal has junction indicators then a link must be assigned to each junction indicator that the signal has. Example: If you position a "JTMS B4A 3T F14" signal it has two junction indicators (feathers), numbers 1 and 4. You must assign numbers 1 and 4 to the available links. If you forget to assign them the signal will remain illuminated at all times.

Problem:
Calling On Box / Yard Box not working
Solution:
Make sure the calling on box or yard box is placed just after the signal not before. Also if you have just placed the calling on box or yard box you must exit and reload the route for the changes to take effect.

Problem:
A yard link does not allow more than one train to enter. The scenario fails with the 2nd train not being able to get a path.
Solution 1:
This problem is not specific to JTMS signals. When a train enters an area of track designated as a yard using a yard link the signalling system forgets about the train (as it should). This should make it possible for subsequent trains to enter the yard. Unfortunately, the dispatcher does not pay any attention to the signalling system. It still thinks a train is in the section and so will not allow another train to enter. A work around is to make sure that if a yard has several possible sidings or paths that each path is assigned it's own yard link. Then providing each train is routed into it's own siding / path the scenario will work.
Solution 2:
Use the AI Only Signal in the scenario editor to split the yard up into sections. You may also need to add / edit scenario markers (siding, destination, platform etc) or add in scenario specific stop markers. Please refer to this video.

Problem:
Unusual Signal Behaviour
Solution:
Check for links for signals facing the other direction overlapping the link 0 of the signal with problems. This video shows what an overlapping link is.
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Re: Just Trains UK Modern Signals Guide (Unofficial)

Postby Widewanderer » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:01 pm

Greetings! Excellent signals, indeed, and excellent advice.

I have this signal set as part of JT's Marsdonshire product, but seem to be lacking the three very useful scenario tools demonstrated in the YouTube videos, namely:

JTMS AI ONLY SIGNAL
JTMS STOPPING POINT
JTMS TAB TRIGGER

Does anyone have any idea where to find these, or if they are indeed not included with Marsdonshire for some reason, how to get hold of them? Looks like these three will prove invaluable for adding extra depth and interest in scenarios.

Many thanks,
Rob :-D

Saul Junction, Glos.
Widewanderer
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Nobkins » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:30 am

Hi,

The Marsdonshire route was released before some of the signals were made unfortunately. JT have a route in development that contains all the signals demonstrated in the videos. I am not sure of the release date yet I am afraid. I believe JT will be updating the signal pack contained with the Marsdonshire route at some point but I don't know if it will include the few missing items.

Jim
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby Widewanderer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:46 pm

Thanks Jim,

I thought that might be the case. I've sent email to JT to see if I can get more information. JT's Newcastle-Edinburgh route looks excellent, and is getting some pretty favourable feedback, pre-release, so I think I will treat myself to a copy of it anyway.

Meantime, I've made an AI Only scenario signal of my own, using a snippet of code posted by AndiS, which has already allowed me to simulate permissive working into an occupied road, and the "default" stopping point as supplied in the core program works just fine (based on early experiments). I also noted that permissive working is possible without an AI Only signal if the second train is approaching on an instruction to couple up to the train in front.

Thanks again for all the YouTube tutorials - really excellent, and I hope loads more people watch them, and get inspired with what is possible now in TS signalling.

Best wishes,

Saul Junction, Glos.
Widewanderer
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Nobkins » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:16 pm

No problem Rob. I believe JT will be updating the signals that came with Marsdonshire to be the same as the ones that will be released with the N to E route they have in development. Again not sure when the update will happen but all promising and the usual excellent JT support.

Jim
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby Widewanderer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:48 pm

Hello Jim,

Spot on - I have had email from JT apparently confirming this. (Excellent support from JT, as always)

For now, if anyone else is searching for those three little scenario assets - JTMS AI ONLY SIGNAL, JTMS STOPPING POINT, JTMS TAB TRIGGER - a heads-up: they're not there in the Marsdonshire signal set (called JT_Modernsignals in the TS2015 editor) yet (as of 5 Nov), but should be next time Marsdonshire gets updated, or if you get the forthcoming Newcastle-Edinburgh route, where the signal set will appear in the CommonLibrary. That's how I'm reading the situation right now. So, hold tight folks - and watch this space!

Saul Junction, Glos.
Widewanderer
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Widewanderer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:29 am

Boo, hiss - the missing assets are still just that. Missing. Not included in the recent release of Newcastle-Edinburgh, so I've no idea what Just Trains are playing at... Perhaps JT don't want us to have these useful little tools after all.

Despite that, Newcastle-Edinburgh is a pretty decent route, nonetheless.

Saul Junction, Glos.
Widewanderer
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby AndiS » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:47 am

I could provide substitutes for those. However, I never was too sure about their use case, except for the AI only signal which is already published here as a DIY kit.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Nobkins » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:15 pm

The TAB signal is demonstrated in this video Andi. The uses of both signals are only really for scenarios and it just allows signals to be pull off based on when a train passes a location rather then when the user presses TAB. This often happens in real life when a associated position light (calling on) clears automatically (when possible) when a track circuit close to the signal becomes occupied.
Nobkins
Site Admin

Postby Widewanderer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:39 pm

AndiS wrote:I could provide substitutes for those. However, I never was too sure about their use case, except for the AI only signal which is already published here as a DIY kit.

Hello Andi!

If you DO have a snippet of script to automatically trigger a TAB, that would be BRILLIANT!

I am already using your little script for an AI Only signal to decent effect, and it's absolutely ESSENTIAL to properly signal scenarios in locations like Bristol Temple Meads, where two trains are routinely signalled into the long platforms together under permissive working - something I've watched happening for real for decades! (For those who are unfamiliar with Bristol TM, most platforms are split into two - platform 3 is actually platform 4 at the far western end, platform 12 is also platform 11 at the eastern end, and so on. There is no signalling to formally split the track sections, only permissive working)

The automatic TAB trigger is the final piece in the jigsaw, in my eyes, towards providing a complete modern signalling experience in TS, allowing the calling-on lights to be seen for AI trains, too. And I am wondering if the automatic TAB trigger will also help to improve the immersion for the player train, perhaps removing the pop-up on-screen message, "Request to pass signal at danger approved", when manually pressing TAB for operating under permissive working...(?) Probably not, but it's just a thought...

Andi, you could be our saviour on this one - it is unclear whether JT are going to release these little tools to us...

Best wishes,

Saul Junction, Glos.
Widewanderer
Fit for Firing Duties

Next

Return to Tutorials, Guides, FAQ