Oh Well...

Oh Well...

Postby BigVern » Sat May 24, 2014 11:04 am

My brief experimentation with MSTS didn't last long.

Thanks to the Demex mod was able to get a route extracted and set up the terrain etc.

Unfortunately there the success seemed to stall. On opening the little test route I went to place a Sound Source as otherwise the editor doesn't scroll properly. Despite getting the item in the selection box and the white cross on the terrain, no placement occurred. The cursor was moving (eventually) but not putting down an object.

I removed MSTS Bin (as I read this can cause issues with the RE) but made no difference.

Unless anyone can suggest a possible solution, sadly it really is time to draw a line under MSTS certainly so far as any fresh build routes are concerned. The worry has to be for the Open Rails guys, as fewer people have the old hardware that MSTS is happiest on they are going to actively need to think about their own custom editor(s) going forward.

Well it was a little distraction for a couple of days, guess it's time to get back into TS2014 and Trainz building.
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Re: Oh Well...

Postby JasonM » Sat May 24, 2014 7:08 pm

Sorry to hear the problems you are having Vern, I hope someone can help you get it sorted.
JasonM
Full Time Fireman

Postby BigVern » Mon May 26, 2014 10:29 am

It's certainly an odd one.

I've related the issue over on TS.com as well, to see if the knowledge base there can offer a solution. If not, looks like the uninstall button beckons, sadly.
BigVern
Driver

Postby BigVern » Wed May 28, 2014 7:13 am

An update for anyone following this thread...

Collective wisdom over at TS indicates the presence of BIN may be causing issues within the editor. Although I already uninstalled it and still got the same issue, possible the installer doesn't remove everything and restore all the DLL's, registry etc to the previous state.

It looks as if I will have to uninstall MSTS and reinstall from scratch to test the theory - at work on 12 hours today so probably Thursday or Friday before I can take a look at it.
BigVern
Driver

Postby JasonM » Wed May 28, 2014 5:35 pm

Ok good luck Vern, be interesting to find out how you get on.
(hope your 12hr went ok)
JasonM
Full Time Fireman

Success!

Postby BigVern » Thu May 29, 2014 10:45 am

3 x 12 hours now done, it is a long day whether or not busy. Few days off now and then start 7 nights on Monday... :x

Back to the matter in hand, now reinstalling MSTS, minus BIN, on the laptop. Will create a short test route and see what happens!

Edit:
After reinstalling MSTS back to its pre-BIN state, can confirm I have now been able to open and work in the Route Editor (including placing a sound source on the Start Tile) without any issues. So sadly have to concur that at least on some install configurations, BIN messes up the Route Editor.
BigVern
Driver

Return to Route Creation