Rolling Stock Cab Views

Discuss anything related to Train Simulator from DoveTail that does not fit in one of the more specific categories.

Rolling Stock Cab Views

Postby Chris W » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:04 am

I'm not sure how much interest this will create, but I have recently started altering the 'cabcam' files from most of the Diesel and Electric rolling stock DLC available through steam. More specifically, I have done this to improve some of the issues with the camera position and depth of field on 1920x1080 monitors. Put it this way, when driving an HST it now feels like your driving an HST and you also get a better sense of perspective when the tunnel vision has been removed.

Original

New version

The downside is that there is no single option to control depth of field and camera height across all rolling stock.

Some of these minor changes have greatly improved the 'feel' of driving from the cab and I was intending on releasing these updated .bin files in two packs. One pack for Diesel Traction and one for Electric. The install would pretty much be a copy and paste job, but I fear many inexperienced PC users would struggle to manage all the correct file paths correctly during the installation. I think the easiest option to achieve some proper results would be to include a self installer to eliminate the leg work for the end user. However I am a bit lost on how to go about creating a program to achieve this. Any help would be very much welcomed.

Chris
Scottish Born Scenario Writer
Have been doing this since the days of RailSimulator. My Steam ID is 'chris_firetrap87'
Chris W
Engine Cleaner

Re: Rolling Stock Cab Views

Postby Nobkins » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:27 am

Hi Chris,

Let me know when your done. I have been thinking of creating a small utility that would have the ability to parse a simple text file containing source and target info and then automatically install the items required. A simple batch file could do the job but this would be something I could upload and allow anyone to create a simple intaller just by creating a txt file similar to below:
Code: Select all
Source, Target, Check
MyZip.Zip\Assets\RSC\MyLoco\Camera\CabCam.bin,Assets\RSC\MyLoco\Camera\CabCam.bin,Assets\RSC\MyLoco\MyLoco.ap

In the above example we would extract the Assets\RSC\MyLoco\Camera\CabCam.bin from the "MyZip.zip" file (our source). This file would be placed here: Assets\RSC\MyLoco\Camera\CabCam.bin and all of this would only happen if Assets\RSC\MyLoco\MyLoco.ap existed

My understanding with the newer AP files is that files placed in the normal structure of folders that match the location of a file inside an AP file take priority.

eg.

If I have Assets\RSC\MyLoco\Camera\CabCam.bin
and also the following AP file:
Assets\RSC\MyLoco\MyLoco.ap which contains Camera\CabCam.bin then the one in BOLD takes priority.

In essence this should mean have a batch file that simply checks for the existence of an AP file

Jim
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Re: Rolling Stock Cab Views

Postby John Walsh » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:14 pm

The HST has always felt wrong to drive, and I thought it was me, so I don't drive them very often. I feel sure I have seen a fix for this before, but never bothered with it. I'm sure many others have issues with many more locos though.
John Walsh
Engine Cleaner

Return to Train Simulator Mess Room