TrainEmissiveGlow.fx question

Discuss anything related to Train Simulator from DoveTail that does not fit in one of the more specific categories.

TrainEmissiveGlow.fx question

Postby irishrailguy » Thu May 15, 2014 5:07 pm

So I can't get an answer to this over on UKTS (has gone very quiet there lately...), so I'll ask here, albeit a bit condensed.

In short, how does one reduce the glow and washout of the texture that this shader is applied to in Max? Changing the emissive color won't do anything, neither does creating an alpha for the texture used. The 2nd slot has me confused though, if it's described as a mask then shouldn't the texture placed in that slot control the intensity? I've tried using a greyscale image in that slot but to no effect.

Any ideas?

Kevin
irishrailguy
Fit for Firing Duties

Re: TrainEmissiveGlow.fx question

Postby Nobkins » Fri May 16, 2014 9:12 am

I made a street light using train emissive glow. From reading back up on Derek Siddles blog you have two texture slots. The 1st provides the glow colour. The 2nd provides the glow amount based on a grey scale texture. Black is no glow. White is full flow. So if you provide a quite dark grey texture for the 2nd slot that should reduce the glow. Not sure how it effects washout but with luck less glow is less washout.

You have probably already read Dereks post on the subject but just in case you haven't here is the link:
http://the-art-of-rws.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... -with.html
TrainSimDev.com YouTube Channel
Video tutorials and other resources
Nobkins
Site Admin

Re: TrainEmissiveGlow.fx question

Postby irishrailguy » Wed May 21, 2014 12:03 am

Thanks Jim. I had tried the mask before but to no effect, but on closer inspection the mask does actually reduce the glow. It only seems noticeable however if I go into the darker grey regions, so that's probably why I didn't notice the effect before.

Kevin
irishrailguy
Fit for Firing Duties

Return to Train Simulator Mess Room